Place2Be is the leading children's mental health charity providing in-school support and expert professional development to improve the emotional wellbeing of children and young people, families, teachers and school staff. Place2Be provides mental health support and training for over 600 primary and secondary schools, reaching a total school population of over 350,000 pupils.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated public affairs manager to play a lead role in shaping Place2Be's policy and public affairs advocacy work.
Based within the Marketing and Communications team, you will work with colleagues from across the organisation to promote Place2Be's work as a leading provider of school-based mental health support in the UK. You will bring enthusiasm, a can-do attitude, a good team spirit and a genuine interest in the importance of supporting the wellbeing of children and young people to give them the best start in life.
What will I be responsible for in my new role?
- Draft and maintain current Place2Be policy positions and lead the development of new policy positions as needed
- Provide clear written and verbal briefings to senior execs and CEO
- Represent Place2Be in relevant parliamentary and sector meetings and networks, building positive relationships with Parliamentarians and other voluntary organisations within the mental health and education sector
- Proactively draft briefings for MPs, Peers and their staff to inform parliamentary questions, debates, committee inquiries, and readings of draft legislation
- Record, and maintain Place2Be’s database of contacts, correspondence and engagements with Parliamentarians, and evaluate the quality of these relationships to inform cultivation strategies and influence planning
The successful candidate will have:
- A strong track record in policy analysis and advocacy, and experience of this in relation to front-line services and activity
- A good awareness of how government policy affects the provision of mental health support in the UK
- The ability to produce policy lines and clear, accessible statements and reports, in plain English, understood by all audiences
- The ability to build positive relationships with external stakeholders for the purpose of partnership working
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and an ability to represent the organisation externally
Interview Dates: Tuesday 25th August and Thursday 27th August 2020
In return we offer you a range of fantastic benefits including:
- Enhanced Annual Leave entitlement
- Robust Learning and Development Programme
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Life Assurance, 4x Annual Salary
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Mobile Phone Discounts (EE Network)
- Cycle purchase and season ticket loan schemes
- Extended Maternity/Paternity Pay
To apply or view the full job description please visit our website and complete an application form.
Diversity and Inclusion
Place2Be is committed to equal opportunities and anti-discrimination practices and we positively encourage applications from all sections of the community. We are particularly interested in attracting applications from Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds.
Additionally, for our clinical roles we are particularly keen in attracting male candidates to reflect the diversity of the partner schools and communities we work in. All successful applicants to clinical roles will be asked to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure from the DBS/PVG.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.