We are the Jubilee Sailing Trust, a charity that changes lives through adventure and exploration onboard our tall ship, Tenacious.
We are the Jubilee Sailing Trust, a charity established in 1978 that changes lives through tall ship sailing experiences. Our voyages are for people of all backgrounds and abilities, giving everyone the freedom to explore their own potential through inclusive adventures at sea.
We’re a charity and receive no government funding, so we rely on the support of others through fundraising and donations.
It’s critical we continue our work. Our voyages build confidence and resilience in those who sail with us. They bring people together in diverse teams where differences disappear. Voyage Crew tell us their perceptions change and they are able to achieve things they previously did not think possible.
These experiences transform lives, which is why we are determined to rise to the challenge we currently face and continue sailing for years to come.
To work in partnership with the Chief Executive to ensure that the charity has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and that the charity, the Trustees and the Chief Executive are focused on achieving these.
- Leading the committee and the organisation to enable it to fulfil its purpose.
- To ensure an effective relationship between:
o the committee and the staff/volunteers
o the committee and the external stakeholders/community
- Acting as a spokesperson and figurehead as appropriate.
- To supervise and support the CEO.
- To act as a Member of the Finance Committee
- Plan and prepare the committee meetings and the AGM with others as appropriate.
- Chair committee meetings ensuring:
o A balance is struck between time-keeping and space for discussions.
o Business is dealt with and decisions made
o Decisions, actions and deliberations are adequately minuted
o The implementation of decisions is clearly assigned and monitored.
- Ensure adequate support and supervision arrangements are made for the CEO and any other staff or volunteers as required.
- Assist the fundraising team with major gift meetings and attending fundraising events etc
- Assisting the fundraising team with legacies where needed.
- Liaising with our lawyers and accountants about relevant advice for the Board and the Trust generally.
What are we looking for?
We are looking for an individual with the following skills
- leadership skills
- experience of chairing meetings & committee work
- facilitation skills
- tact & diplomacy
- excellent communication & interpersonal skills
- impartiality, fairness and the ability to respect confidences
- knowledge of maritime
What difference will you make?
The role of the Chair is vital to the organisation. JST is an organisation run by people with drive and commitment.
We are looking for someone to help us develop and implement a strategy to meet the challenges which lie ahead and to add strength to our Board. JST has the exceptionally talented staff and volunteers. You will be joining a proactive Board of Trustees who are open to new ideas and who work well together.
What's in it for the volunteer?
The role of the Chair is vital to the organisation. It will bring many challenges but an equal amount of satisfaction. This is a rare opportunity to make a real difference in your local community. This is particularly true in the context of COVID-19; JST is playing an important role in supporting vulnerable members of the community.
Appointment Process All expressions of interest and any discussion regarding these positions will be with the HR Manager in the first instance.
Closing Date - 31st October 2020
Start date – no later than December 2020 ideally.
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. JST provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, colour, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, or any other protected category under UK Law.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.