Health Care (Cash plan)
Optional day off to volunteer
Option to buy and sell additional holiday
Home Based: Beeston, Nottingham
Job reference: 142
Contract type: Permanent
Full time: 37 hours, 5 days per week working Monday to Friday 9am-5pm
Salary: £20,000.00 - £22,438.00 per annum+ Benefits (dependent on experience)
Giving people a voice – and making sure it’s heard – is something POhWER does every day. We’re all about promoting equality, challenging unfairness and giving disadvantaged and vulnerable people access to high quality information, advice and advocacy services. POhWER is a registered charity that provides a range of services across England.
We are looking to recruit people who share our core values and can demonstrate that they apply and live those values in their daily working practice.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a full time Relevant Person’s Paid Representative Advocate to join the Nottingham team. The post will be home based working acrossBeeston, Nottingham.
You will be supporting a wide range of vulnerable adults often with profound and multiple needs, so you will have experience of this type of work, along with a good working knowledge of public and voluntary organisations.
Ideally, you will have strong experience working with vulnerable adults who are affected by significant health and social care issues who find it difficult to speak up for themselves; and experience providing persuasive verbal and written representations.
You will be a confident positive team player, able to work in partnership with clients and professionals, gaining an understanding of their issues by listening, exploring options and taking action as directed by them. Our ideal candidate will have worked in advocacy, information and advice or similar role before, ideally in a health, social care or voluntary setting and will have experience of working with vulnerable adults.
You will need to have a flexible attitude and must be comfortable handling highly sensitive information whilst able to work well independently and confidently on behalf of others. Strong communication skills and time management skills will be required and you will need to be computer literate.
Because of the nature and location of the role, applicants must live within the area; have a full driver’s licence and access to their own transport. Travel expenses will only be paid once within the Nottinghamshire area.
We apologise in advance, that if you do not hear back from us within two weeks of the closing date then please presume that you have been unsuccessful.
As a minimum you should have:
- Experience of working with vulnerable adults
- Experience of working with people with a range of impairments or disturbances of the mind or brain such as, but not limited to:
- Dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Learning disability
- Mental health
- Acquired brain injury
- Serious physical illness
- Substance misuse
- Ability to form positive boundaried working relationships with a wide range of clients with a range of communication and other needs
- Ability to work with people who have complex needs, including challenging behaviour
- Ability to manage a complex caseload
- Excellent communications skills, able to communicate sensitively and empathetically
- Good personal planning and organisational skills
- Good IT skills
- An effective team player
- Flexible positive approach Willingness to travel as required by the role or POhWER.
- Willingness to undertake relevant training and a commitment to managing your own continued professional develop through a variety of means
Ideally you will also have:
- Knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and other relevant legislation such as The Mental Health Act 2007, The Care Act 2014 and The Human Rights Act 1998
- Knowledge of Safeguarding Adults procedures
- Experience of working within the voluntary and or health and social care sectors
- Experience of working within an advocacy organisation
- Knowledge of Health & Social Care services
- Experience of 24hr care homes residential and nursing
- Knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act 2005 and DoLS amendments 2009
- Knowledge of the Human Rights Act (i.e. Articles 5 & 8)
- Knowledge of the Care Act 2014
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant case law
- Qualifications: 301-304 NAQ Core Units
- Advocates will need to travel independently of public transport (exceptions apply in London)
- The person filling the RPPR role will also need some or all of the following skills, experience and knowledge as indicated by the post details:
- Your work must be within reasonable daily travelling distance of your home.
- Willingness to work in hospital or residential environments which may include secure hospital wards
- Knowledge and experience of working with people who have their liberty restricted
- Knowledge of Risk management in hospital / residential environments
- Experience of / ability to work with people with profound needs or challenging / disturbed behaviour
How to apply
Please submit your CV and cover letter (cover letter no longer than 1 side of A4) before the application deadline 9am, Monday 6th December 2021. In your cover letter please include your reasons for applying for the role, how you meet the person specification criteria if you hold a current driving licence and have access to your own vehicle and your notice period.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to [email protected] .net quoting reference 142.
Interviews are due to held in person.
Previous unsuccessful candidates do not need to apply.
Closing date: 9am, Monday 6th December 2021
Interviews: To be confirmed
For an informal discussion please contact Emma Morgan, Community Manager.
A DBS check will be required for this post.
POhWER is an equal opportunities employer, holder of the Investors in People Silver award and a member of the MINDFUL EMPLOYER scheme. We are a member of the Positive about Disability scheme and disabled applicants who meet all the essential criteria will be guaranteed an interview.
Reference ID: 142
Please submit your CV and cover letter (cover letter no longer than 1 side of A4) before the application deadline 9am, Monday 6th December 2021.
In your cover letter please include your reasons for applying for the role, how you meet the person specification criteria if you hold a current driving licence and have access to your own vehicle and your notice period.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.