About Police Now
Police Now’s mission is to transform communities, reduce crime and anti-social behaviour, and increase the public’s confidence in the police by recruiting, developing and inspiring outstanding and diverse leaders in policing. We are working towards a day when every community, whatever the socio-economic background of its residents, can thrive without being fearful of crime. We are looking for high-performing, committed, mission-aligned individuals who will actively contribute towards this goal.
It is important that Police Now’s workforce reflects the communities that we serve and are empowered to contribute their best. We are an equal opportunities employer committed to diversity and inclusion in policing and our Head Office, and view workforce diversity as a business imperative. We strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life.
Police Now trains graduates and career changers with leadership potential to become inspirational police officers and outstanding crime fighters on our National Graduate Leadership Programme and our National Detective Programme. Our officers are supported for life so they can confidently progress through policing ranks as innovative leaders. We are a not-for-profit organisation of ~120 employees, with ambitious goals; we need impact and solutions-focused individuals who will accelerate us towards our mission. Everything we do and our culture is reflected in the Police Now Leadership Principles which are attached at the bottom of this page.
The purpose of the role
We are seeking a commercial and mission-driven senior leader to become our Head of Finance. You will have strategic finance capabilities as well as core operational capabilities to manage the Finance and IT departments, and directly support the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in driving the strategic growth and sustainability of Police Now. You will operate as part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), influencing decisions at an organisational level. You must be a confident in presenting to senior stakeholders and influencing peers; this role is crucial in ensuring that funds are used effectively across the organisation and that finance processes, controls and systems support our 120-strong workforce to achieve our mission.
The role is broad with full responsibility for financial management, and ensuring our digital capabilities and systems are fit for purpose. You will manage a medium-sized team with the support of a Finance Manager and IT Manager, to deliver day-to-day operations and strategic projects. Whilst IT experience is an advantage, we are seeking a Finance leader with a passion and aptitude for data and technology and an analytical mind that can translate business requirements into technology requirements.
The Head of Finance will develop these departments as strategic functions to drive high-performance and efficiency, working closely with the COO to implement our strategy.
- Strategic finance: develop and maintain a high-performing finance function, producing bespoke financial analyses to meet Board and SLT requirements, and help drive strategic decision-making and risk management as a Senior Leadership Team member. Provide strategic advice and contribute to the development and sustainability of Police Now using financial planning and costing. You will work closely with the COO and CEO to analyse our cost per participant, and future investments
- Budgeting and cash flow: manage the annual budgeting process, subsequent reforecasts, and regular cash flow forecasting and monitoring to ensure the efficient allocation of resources and reserves to meet all of Police Now’s obligations; appraise and calculate value for money regarding investments and opportunities.
- Effective and efficient financial control: oversee the monthly management account process, working with the wider Senior Leadership Team / budget holders to ensure effective financial management; regularly review and develop financial controls, policies, and procedures; develop transparent financial reporting; and meet all finance and IT compliance needs.
- Internal and external reporting: financial and IT reporting to the Finance, Audit, Risk & Resources Committee (as an executive attendee) and the Board of Trustees on a quarterly basis; oversee the external audit process including statutory filings.
- Increasing commercial awareness: as the most senior finance expert in the organisation, you will be responsible for upskilling the organisation regarding financial matters and embedding a commercial mindset in operational delivery and contracting with forces. In particularly, increasing the commercial capabilities of our SLT.
- Strategic technology: oversee and manage technology at Police Now HQ, including systems, devices, hardware and the evolution of the digital ecosystem and data architecture. In particularly, business partnering with the organisation to ensure our technology is fit for purpose for our digital delivery requirements with participants and forces, working with our in-house and outsourced technical experts.
- IT security and data governance: responsible for maintaining appropriate cybersecurity measures at Police Now, and that data is managed appropriately and safely across the business and systems by staff in eyes of our Board, Committees, and force partners.
- High-performing team and operations: develop a high-performing, highly organised Finance & IT team. Manage our IT department and Finance department to perform smartly and efficiently, providing robust and direct performance management, oversight and coaching. Provide support and training for junior members of the team where required and oversee day-to-day operations through the Finance Manager and IT Manager. Day-to-day operations include payments processes, expenses, compliance, payroll, grant reporting, device management and IT support (including managing outsourced suppliers).
- Projects: on occasion, lead on finance or IT projects such as implementing new processes to maximise efficiency and decision-making, re-contracting with new outsourced suppliers and updating systems, as well as being a key advisor and senior representative on company-wide projects.
What you'll need
- At least 5 years’ experience leading Finance teams in industry or in a professional services environment, and a demonstrated ability for developing high performing and inclusive teams (experience leading non-finance staff an advantage but not essential)
- A full professional accounting qualification – ACA or ICAS qualified from a top-tier organisation is desirable
- Excellent proficiency in Microsoft Office, in particular the use of Excel for analysing data, creating reports and data modelling
- Experience using cloud based financial systems (experience using Microsoft Business Central and WebExpenses beneficial)
- Previous Senior Leadership Team experience or proven experience working with and managing senior stakeholders in a client-based professional services environment; a demonstrated ability to present to senior management and/or Boards
- In-depth knowledge of all core financial processes and up to date knowledge of technical requirements and best practices (ideally with a working knowledge of Charities SORP)
- Specific IT expertise is not essential, however you must be able to demonstrate a passion and understanding of business technology, the key components of organisational IT, and how technology is a key enabler in the delivery of business operations
- An understanding of the basics of data architecture and how this translates to reporting and system design, management and development; knowledge of GDPR, the current data protection and IT security environment is desirable
- Excellent numerical and problem solving skills, as well as strong line management and coaching experience
- A demonstrated ability to advise and lead on a strategic organisational level as well as day-to-day operations, including experience in leading and delivering transformation projects; experience of working successfully in a changing organisation where flexibility, agility and adaptability are essential
- Superb written and verbal communication skills and an excellent academic background
What you'll get from us
- A bright, airy, modern and buzzing HQ near Liverpool Street, Central London (Zone 1). This role will require a minimum of 3 days a week in the office. Please note that during the Covid-19 pandemic, online/remote inductions may occur.
- A supported working from home set-up with the technology and certain equipment required.
- Competitive salary of £65,000 - £80,000 per annum
- Flexible working.
- 27 days holiday each year plus bank holidays (pro-rata).
- Sanctus coaching (private mental health coaching for the workplace).
- Access to the Vitality programme which includes healthcare benefits, an Employee Assistance Programme and discounts.
- Training opportunities for personal development.
- Participation in a pension scheme (with 5% employer contributions and 3% employee contributions).
This job description is issued as a guideline. It is not exhaustive, and we would be pleased to discuss any constructive comments you may have. Due to the evolving nature and changing demands of our business this job description may be subject to change. You may, on occasions, be required to undertake additional or other duties within the context of this job description and according to the needs of the organisation.
Applications will be screened as they are received and invited to interview accordingly. Police Now reserves the right to close the advert prior to the advertised date, should a suitable applicant be appointed. Early applications are therefore encouraged.
Please note that some roles within Police Now require certain levels of National Security Vetting or screening in order to effectively work with our partners. Therefore, we may ask you to complete this if you are successful.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.