- To provide front-line support to the Political Studies Association’s specialist groups
- To provide front-line service responding to enquiries by current and prospective members
- To support the Membership & Programmes Manager and Membership & Programmes Officer in fulfilling the requirements of the various PSA membership schemes
Supporting our specialist groups and expert networks
- Manage the specialist groups inbox, online and phone communications, responding to queries directly or forwarding the query to relevant colleagues. Ensuring that engagement and action is resolved and carried out in a timely manner.
- Support specialist groups, and networks, in setting up and promoting events, including managing digital events via Zoom as required, and ensuring they have access to PSA’s current guidance on running meetings and events.
- Circulate updates and bulletins to specialist groups as requested by the lead trustee or CEO.
- Assist specialist groups in gaining access to, and using, the website and database (CiviCRM). Maintain oversight of the specialist groups’ section of the website, ensuring consistency and accuracy of group details are up to date and taking remedial action as required.
- Liaise with the specialist groups regarding grants/funding opportunities, as funding becomes available, including informing groups of decisions made by the trustees to bids submitted by them.
- Provide data relating to the groups as requested by MPM colleagues, or the wider team, including as part of reporting to trustees, providing data to the MPO regarding to groups’ budget allocations, and in confirming membership of prize entrants.
- Provide updates about specialist group activities, as relevant, to be included in the regular e-newsletters to members
- Liaise with the specialist groups on their involvement with the annual conference, and related tasks as required by the Events & Marketing Manager.
Provision and development of membership services:
- Respond, and take required action, to general membership enquiries, by inbox or phone, including updating the CiviCRM database as relevant.
- Work with the Membership & Programmes Officer to ensure action is taken to resolve and respond to enquiries within 48 hours.
- Assist with monthly direct debit runs and associated database checks, particularly during busy renewal periods (1st quarter of the year).
- Contact members as required and update mailing lists for postal journals.
- Assist with data input and crosschecking records to ensure swift and speedy resolution, especially around the time of the annual conference (March/April).
Provide support with member events and conferences:
- To support, as requested, the Events & Marketing Manager, and other colleagues, in organising and executing the PSA’s Annual International Conference and other member-orientated or public events (both physical and online) throughout the year. This may include handling invitations, responses, logistics and, on occasion, providing ‘hands on’ help at the event venue or via online platforms such as Zoom - making full use of these opportunities to engage our membership.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Fulfilling other activities, in addition to the main responsibilities above, as requested by the MPM and MPO.
- Managing the PSA’s [email protected] inbox, actioning accordingly.
- On occasion supporting colleagues in work areas outside of this job description.
- Compliance with PSA policy including absence, appraisal, health & safety, EDI and GDPR.
Capabilities & attitudes
Enjoys and is confident in dealing with members face to face, over the phone and via email
A willingness to help others, in a timely manner, through provision of information, services and assistance
Friendly and approachable team player
Confident and articulate manner to communicate at all levels, and in a variety of situations
Track record of providing excellent membership or customer services
Working in membership services in a similar learned society or professional membership body
Ability to prioritise and work on own initiative in order to meet deadlines and achieve a wide range of tasks and objectives
Strong planning, organisational and time-management abilities
Experience of dealing with a range of people in a friendly but professional and helpful manner.
Structure: this post supports the Membership & Programmes Officer, with both posts managed by the Membership & Programmes Manager. The post is based in our Head Office in Camden
Additional information: the role is part-time and there is some requirement to work outside normal office hours to attend various PSA events. In addition, occasional travel would be expected within the UK.
Terms of Employment
1. The starting salary will be FTE equivalent £24,000 per annum, pro-rata for 3 days.
2. 22.5 hour working week (normally 9:30 – 5:30 including 30-minute unpaid lunch break); willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends with no overtime payments but the flexibility to claim time off in lieu.
3. Pro-rata of FTE equivalent 25 days’ annual holiday allowance plus bank holidays
4. Employer contribution to pension (10% for employee contribution of 5% of salary) following a three month probationary period.
Structure: there are seven members of staff currently. This post is normally based at our offices in Camden although staff are being supported to work from home in light of the Covid-19 pandemic.
How to apply
Please submit a CV (no more than two sides of A4) and a succinct covering letter explaining why you are suited to the role by 5pm on 5th November 2021. Interviews will be held w/c 15th November. If you have not heard from us by then please assume that you have been unsuccessful.
Please also complete a PSA equal opportunities monitoring form.
Thank you for your interest in the Political Studies Association
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.