Population Matters is a non-profit organisation that empowers women to take charge of family size, campaigns for more controlled human consumption, and seeks to tackle the population boom crisis that has been noted by luminaries such as Sir David Attenborough.
- We work with our global partners, friends, and stakeholders to achieve a better future for people and planet.
- We campaign, inform, undertake research and do all we can to encourage an open, fair-minded and constructive debate about population. We aim to create a wave of public awareness and corresponding policy action on overpopulation and unsustainable consumption.
- We promote positive, practical, ethical and entirely voluntary solutions — encouraging smaller families, inspiring people to consume sustainably, with the aim of enabling everyone to enjoy a decent quality of life whilst respecting and sustaining the natural ecosystems upon which all life on earth depends.
- We empower choice. In a world of finite resources, our reproductive and consumption choices are critical for achieving that vision of humanity in harmony with nature, prospering on a healthy planet. We believe everyone should have the freedom and ability to choose a smaller family.
- We are committed to human rights, women’s empowerment and global justice. We believe action to address population must always be consistent with these principles.
What we’re looking for
Having achieved 265% growth in income since 2017, we are in a strong growth position and are looking for a talented Head of Finance and Operations who can contribute to building a resilient, sustainable organisation. You will help us to consolidate our current position and put us on a sure footing for continued growth, as we take advantage of the opportunities available to us.
This is a new role and contributes to the re-organisation and development of our SMT, and represents confident investment in the charity’s future growth. We are looking for someone who can work in lock-step with the Executive Director and Board to develop and implement business plans that are robust enough to accommodate our rapid growth and flexible enough to take advantage of emerging opportunities.
You will lead on the development of our financial systems and management, as well as the management and optimisation of our business operations – covering finance, IT, HR, governance, administration, legal, and facilities. Whilst the role has a mixed portfolio, it’s worth noting that the finance element is absolutely at the heart of the position.
Playing a key role on the Senior Management Team, you will be responsible for ensuring that Population Matter’s day-to-day finances and operations remain compliant, responsive and efficient.
We try to avoid prescriptive person specifications, as they limit the diversity of experience on our team. Instead, we have just four questions for you:
- Do you have an accountancy qualification and significant experience of overseeing finance functions in UK charities, with demonstrable success in building robust financial systems within high-growth environments?
- Do you have a keen eye for detail and a desire to drive ongoing improvements, building efficient structures and processes that limit bureaucracy and drive growth?
- Do you have the team building skills needed to work with a highly-motivated, diverse, remote working and internationally operating staff team? Not to forget building a positive, dynamic relationship with our Board.
- Do you have a commitment to the change we’re trying to create and the way in which we’re trying to create it?
If you like what we do, the role is grabbing your attention, and you answered yes to the questions above, then we’d wholeheartedly recommend you read our detailed application pack, by following the link below, and consider putting an application together.
We look forward to hearing from you.