Portobello Business Centre (PBC) is an independent social enterprise that operates as a not-for-profit organisation. Founded in the late 1980s, our mission is to help people in the local West London community to start up, grow and expand their businesses, assisting them to realise their full potential in the process. We do this through the provision of affordable, high quality, independent and confidential support in the form of training courses, seminars, workshops, business consultancy, one-to-one advice and networking opportunities.
Nationally recognised as a leading provider of professional enterprise services, PBC has fostered the emergence of thousands of SMEs in a multitude of business sectors. We have an impressive track record of achievement having supported over 5,000 businesses over the past 25 years, with more than 13,000 customers having utilised our services. Though our focus is on micro and small business within the local community, the organisation has been instrumental at the start of major businesses such as Innocent Drinks, Charlie Bigham’s and Karen Millen. PBC has also played a leading role in supporting over 80 businesses directly affected by the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
PBC is supported by 8 Non-Executive Directors working on a voluntary basis whose vision is to become the leading provider in London of high-quality training, business advice and consultancy services to the start-up and small business community. PBC finances are in a stable position with projections for a sustainable level of income over the coming three years.
Responsibility for regular ongoing support for businesses within the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.
- Delivering high quality, independent and confidential support through face-face and online delivery.
- Actively promoting the PBC brand to businesses, networks and at events within the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea, acting as a strong ambassador.
- Taking an active role in representing PBC at the North Kensington Connected Business Forum, partnering with the Council and local businesses.
- Signposting businesses to specialist advisors as appropriate, for example finance, social media experts etc.
- Working closely with PBC’s management team to report on and discuss opportunities for building relationships and partnerships with stakeholders within the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea.
- Maintaining appropriate notes and information relating to businesses in line with GDPR regulations.
Experience & Knowledge
- Demonstrable experience as a Business Advisor or extensive experience of running businesses.
- Working knowledge of a broad range of business multi-disciplines including business planning, finance, sales & marketing, digital processes and modern communications.
- Be an Ambassador of the PBC culture and brand – both in person and online; an outstanding communicator with passion, immediate gravitas and credibility who is committed to the vision and objectives of PBC.
- Can inspire, motivate and build the confidence of business owners with an open, engaging and empathetic style.
- Strong coaching skills with the ability to build and maintain relationships both internally and externally.
- Innovative, creative and dynamic with thirst for new ideas.
- Can constructively challenge business owners, opening eyes to different ways of working and ideas.
- Good presentation skills both face-face and online.
- Can work autonomously but also collaboratively, with the flexibility to be successful internally, within a lean organisational structure.
Closing date for CV and Cover Letter: 9th February 2022