The Digital Marketing Manager will play a crucial role in the flourishing of Portsmouth Cathedral’s work.
The Cathedral will shortly launch a new Vision and Strategy which will guide our work as we build towards our centenary in 2027. We seek to increase our impact as a Cathedral, civic space, artistic venue and visitor destination whilst improving our financial sustainability through increased commercial events and fundraising.
Marketing, digital and communications will play a key role in helping us to achieve these ambitions. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated individual with the passion, drive and experience to manage marketing and communications.
The successful candidate will work with the Head of Fundraising and Events to create and deliver impactful marketing campaigns, digital projects and communications to support the effective delivery of our Vision and Strategy. This role is key to developing Portsmouth Cathedral’s engagement with our various audiences including congregation, local residents, businesses and cultural sector, the City of Portsmouth and the Diocese of Portsmouth.
Specific Duties and responsibilities:
- Deliver and manage the Cathedral’s marketing strategy.
- Deliver an annual marketing plan and specific marketing campaigns for the Cathedral’s wide-ranging activities including music and services, learning and engagement, commercial events, fundraising and as a visitor destination.
- Work in collaboration with internal colleagues to ensure marketing and communications is effectively delivered for all areas of the Cathedral’s work.
- Develop and create engaging content for digital marketing channels, including the website, social and e-newsletters.
- Develop and create traditional marketing collateral including brochures, flyers, posters and adverts.
- Undertake market research and analysis to support the marketing strategy and marketing campaigns, working across the organisation to maximise our potential reach and impact.
- Track, analyse and report on the impact and Return on Investment of all marketing activities, including via Google Analytics and Social Media analytics.
- Support the development and delivery of the Cathedral’s brand, ensuring brand guidelines are implemented and there is consistent internal and external communication.
- Be responsible for updating and developing the website, with support from volunteers and input from staff colleagues.
- Respond to enquiries received via social media channels in a timely manner.
- Monitor TripAdvisor and other online reviews and respond where needed.
- Work with assigned volunteers and staff colleagues to ensure effective communications through the Cathedral’s regular online and print mailings.
- Support the Cathedral to implement an effective advocacy strategy with key stakeholders.
- Work proactively with local, regional, national and specialist press and media to raise the profile of the Cathedral, including through writing press releases and being the initial point of contact for media enquiries.
- With the Head of Fundraising and Events, to manage the implementation of professional standard live broadcasting from the Cathedral. This will include some weekend and evening working.
- To undertake at least one annual digital project from scoping to implementation and evaluation. The nature of such projects will respond to the needs of our audiences, for example a digital self-guided tour for visitors.
- Ability to deliver projects on time and on budget
- Act as an ambassador for Portsmouth Cathedral at all times including attending events as required.
- Undertake administrative duties as required. This position will be self-supporting administratively.
- To follow and abide by Portsmouth Cathedral’s policies and procedures as detailed in the Staff Handbook at all times including Safeguarding, Health and Safety, Equal Opportunities and Confidentiality.
- Other duties as may be specified by the line manager from time to time.
- Some weekend and evening work will be necessary.
Skills and Experience
- The appointee needs to be able to work comfortably in a faith based organisation and be sympathetic to, and supportive of, its Christian values.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in a marketing, digital marketing, e-commerce or communications role.
- Experience of delivering and managing marketing campaigns across multiple channels and targeted at different groups.
- Experience of creating and commissioning content and marketing collateral.
- Experience of work with agencies, for example PR, creative, digital.
- Experience of managing organisational brand.
- Proven understanding of the current marketing landscape including digital and traditional marketing channels.
- Experience of conducting marketing research and analysis to inform strategy.
- Experience of managing communications using various channels to effectively communicate with different audiences.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Good evaluation and analytical skills and ability to communicate evaluation of marketing campaigns to multiple audiences.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including copywriting and proof-reading.
- Ability to build positive relationships and work collaboratively with colleagues and key stakeholders, as well as working independently.
- Self-motivated, hardworking with excellent attention to detail.
- Highly IT literate with experience of Microsoft Office and familiarity with CRM systems.
- Ability to solve problems quickly and sensitively and find new solutions.
- Confident, positive and energetic individual with a can-do attitude.
- Marketing qualification.
- Experience of working with websites and CRM systems.
- Experience of designing print.
- Strong photography skills.
- Experience of working with press and media.
- Experience of working with tourism and destination marketing agencies.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.