Prospect, Britain’s leading magazine of ideas, is looking for a Head of Finance & Resources to take up a central role in our small and friendly team. Over 23 years, Prospect has established a distinct niche in the UK media market—giving Britain’s biggest brains and sharpest pens the space to get behind the headlines and cultural currents of the day.
Run on not-for-profit lines, with the support of the Resolution Trust, the magazine has also developed a fast-growing online presence, and a prestigious events programme. It is currently at a particularly exciting stage, with the latest circulation figures being the highest to date, and with additional resources currently being ploughed into a drive to grow our print and online subscription base.
This post offers a fantastic variety of responsibilities and opportunities: the job effectively involves being Prospect’s chief operating officer. The successful candidate will take a step into the world of the intelligent media, and get to work in every corner of a small company whose activities range from commercially-driven ad sales to journalism with an expressly educational and public interest ethos. This is a challenging and busy role, which involves pulling all aspects of the company’s operations together to help achieve its strategic goals. As such it provides terrific experience—from standard accounting, to dealing regularly with our board, and being the chief scrutineer of the company’s performance against its plans to grow. As a member of a small and dedicated team, a "no job too small" ethos is required.
Key personal responsibilities
- Managing the financial affairs of the company
- Ensuring the company has and adheres to appropriate HR policies and procedures
- Overseeing legal and regulatory compliance
- Supporting the directors in setting and achieving strategic goals and operational targets
The role also involves taking a lead on the following tasks, working with Prospect’s whole team:
- Preparation of annual budget and forecasts
- Production of monthly management accounts and cash flow reports
- Preparation of quarterly board reports, briefing the board and recording its meetings
- Oversight of the production of year-end statutory accounts and audit
- VAT preparation and returns
- HR policies and procedures, and support of line managers in recruitment and performance management
- Responsibility for data protection compliance and any other legal or regulatory requirements (although legal and HR advice is available)
- Liaison with the office building management
- Supervision of company expenditure to ensure that budgets are adhered to and the operations function in the most cost-efficient manner.
Other reasonable tasks and duties as detailed by the Editor or Commercial Director.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.