Senior Public Affairs Officer
£42,692 (plus inner London Weighting £3,039)
35 hours per week
Prospect is a leading trade union that that delivers advice, support, representation and a voice for our members. We are a not-for-profit organisation with over 250 staff helping to support more than 150,000 people across the private and public sectors. We are not affiliated to any political party but seek to influence all decision makers on issues of importance to our members.
Our members want to get on at work. They work in a diverse range of professions, including energy, science, engineering, tech, heritage, defence, entertainment and digital. We aim to get best deal for our members by using evidence and building partnerships – while never being scared to call employers out when they get things wrong.
Our priorities are to grow our membership through attracting new members and to win for workers, whether that is helping members negotiate improvements at work or changing the policy environment which affects them.
Diversity is an important value for the trade union movement, so we are particularly interested in applications groups who are under-represented in the workplace.
We offer a range of benefits for our staff including a generous defined benefit pension scheme.
Senior Public Affairs Officer
We are looking for an experienced public affairs professional. In this role you will represent the union’s members at the highest levels as well as supporting members, activists, and senior officials in advocating for the union.
You will need to:
- Have a deep knowledge of the political situation, both in Westminster and in the devolved administrations.
- Be organised and proactive in further developing your network with politicians to affect change for members.
- Be able to develop and champion Prospect’s public affairs and media work.
- Be confident in giving strategic advice to senior officials and union representatives.
- Want to take the next step in your career in public affairs building on a background in public affairs, politics, public policy, government, think tanks or campaigning.
- Want to make the world of work better for everyone through promoting membership and the values of the trade union movement.
Where this role fits in
This role is part of our Communications team - a 14-strong team working across media, campaigns, publications, marketing and digital.
This role will work to our Head of Communications and Public Affairs. You will be working with colleagues in the communications team but also with other members of staff, elected representatives and members from across the union.
EmPloyee Benefits include:
- Annual incremental salary steps until the maximum is reached.
- Inner London weighting allowance.
- Up to 33 days annual leave per year.
- Office closure over the Christmas period.
- Contributory defined benefit pension scheme with high employer contribution rate.
- Employee Assistance Programme which offers telephone counselling and a website with many useful toolkits.
- Eye care voucher scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Access to Prospect member services benefits including shopping, travel, health and insurance discounts.
- Access to training to support career development
For further details or an application form please e-mail:
Closing date: 6th October 2021 – Noon (CVs will not be accepted)
Interviews will be held on 15th October 2021 at our Covid-secure London Headquarters building, New Prospect House.
Prospect is an equal opportunities employer
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.