Is the media landscape your passion? Do you love to write and do you excel at it? Are you a great networker and do you know how to get the word out? Then we’re looking for you. This role will directly manage the International PR Manager, your right hand for writing and distributing press releases, and will work closely together with the Head of Communication to spot PR opportunities on a daily basis. The plant-based and cellular agriculture PR work that you will execute will cover a wide range of topics from policy to food industry, food services and consumer behaviour developments - you know how to make those topics accessible to the wider public and trade press. We are also looking to significantly increase our broadcast media presence across four continents.
The Senior PR manager's key responsibility is to substantially increase ProVeg’s PR profile internationally, and to support ProVeg’s country offices and international departments and programmes to increase their media and PR profile. The postholder is also expected to establish senior ProVeg leaders as thought leaders in their field, and manage the ProVeg ‘Press office’. The post holder will work closely with the International Head of Communication, department communications managers and the national communications managers.
ProVeg’s public profile has significantly increased in the last two years, thanks to creative campaigns, policy work, food industry and retail, and food services successes, and other corporate and system change activities that have set ProVeg apart from many other organisations active in a similar space. We are proud of these achievements, but we also see potential for substantial further PR and media opportunities globally. We would be happy to share current PR insights and KPIs with selected candidates, who have a bold vision for this position.
Reports to: Head of Communication
Line manager for: International PR Manager
Department: International Communications
Location: Remote (ideally, UK, NL, DE, PL, ES, CZ, ZA or US)
Hours: 32-40 hours per week
Salary: commensurate with experience and location (£32,000 - £40,000 pro rata if based in the UK; adjusted for local standards if based in other countries).
1. Developing a global PR strategy and priorities for ProVeg International departments and country offices
- Creating a PR Strategy, detailed timeline of planned PR activities for 2022 and a general plan for future years to increase proactive and reactive print, online, and broadcast media coverage.
- Setting and monitoring overall annual and quarterly PR objectives and key results (OKRs).
- In conjunction with Country Directors, researching the baseline ProVeg PR profile in each country and internationally, and assessing the media landscape to identify opportunities.
- Using lessons learned about effective PR over the past years, implement strategies to build on ProVeg success stories.
- Developing media networks and building contacts with key media representatives (including science-based, trade and other journalists and stakeholders).
- Execution of the PR strategy to expand PR reach in non-ProVeg countries.
2. Generating media coverage for ProVeg International departments
- Leading and overseeing PR work for international interventions, and for any international reactive work.Attending press events where relevant.
- Organising and overseeing PR for media events including press news conferences in close collaboration with relevant Departments/Heads.
- Overseeing a response to press queries in close collaboration with the International PR Manager and relevant Departments/Heads.
- Selling/pitching stories to a variety of media channels, including B2C and B2B (trade) press, for Food Services, Food Industry and Retail, and other international activities.
3. International support for ProVeg country offices
- Supporting national implementation of international PR work including international reactive work.
- Coordinating international PR strategies and ensuring consistent and responsive messages and effective communication.
4. Leadership and development
- Building up the profile of the Executive Team: arranging and, where relevant, helping to prepare for, press interviews for senior management.
- Developing opinion pieces and thought leadership articles for senior management.
- Writing/editing/publishing thought leadership pieces for immediate and planned release.
- Ensuring quality control of press releases and international brand reputation.
- Overseeing risk management analyses and mitigation.
- Mentor, coach and supervise the International PR manager and where relevant other colleagues, such as international communications managers.
5. Optimising PR procedures
- Implementing and using PR tools to enhance press release distribution, and reactive and responsive media coverage.
- Optimising PR tactics through media and skills training for colleagues.
- Setting up standard operating procedures for proactive and reactive work, crisis management, monitoring, evaluation, and estimating the yearly worth of international PR by calculating the media coverage across all domains.
- Providing expert media advice to staff who attend conferences and food events, identifying media opportunities in their domains such as Smart Protein or V-label.
- Improving the ProVeg website Press Kit and developing/overseeing any Press Kits for campaigns.
Any other related tasks commensurate with the level of the role.
A minimum of three years’ experience of working in a senior PR role, or in a similar field.
Experience/track record in developing and implementing proven PR strategies, or similar strategies.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and an ability to tailor communication outputs to a wide range of audiences.
Excellent press release writing skills.
Strong collaboration and excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to thrive in a team and to develop and maintain positive employee relations.
Maintaining professionalism at all times in dealing with external media partners and stakeholders.
Excellent media project management skills - from development to release - to ensure stories are told accurately, persuasively, and with the appropriate use of resources.
Self-starter personality with a curious nature and a drive to continuously optimise.
Ability to work to tight deadlines and manage multiple priorities.
Pro-active problem-solving skills and ability to identify potential improvement and streamlining of processes.
Media ‘hungry’: ability to work in a fast-paced environment, being used to turn around output quickly, yet to a high standard.
Resilience and enjoying challenges.
Experience in working with a charity and knowledge of NGO-sector-specific issues.
Good understanding of and alignment with ProVeg International’s vision and mission.
Academic or professional qualification in communications, marketing, PR or similar.
International PR experience across multiple regions.
Additional language skills (e.g. French, Russian, Portuguese, Mandarin or other languages) preferred, but not required.
BENEFITS OF WORKING WITH US
- Salary: dependent on experience and qualification.
- Several weeks paid vacation and sick leave; national holidays (dependent on location).
- Health-coverage reimbursement (applicable to the US)
- Provision of a work laptop.
- Flexible, trust-based working arrangements and home office arrangements.
- A strong organizational focus on personal development, with a designated training budget.
- Career-development support.
- Mindfulness Program.
- We are a workplace that encourages everyone to bring their whole selves to work. We are an inclusive workplace for our diverse employees around the world.
- And last but not least: become part of a great team and work with us towards a world where everyone chooses delicious and healthy food that is good for all humans, animals, and our planet!
Application deadline: open until filled
Interviews: as soon as possible
Please send us your application documents (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) using the application form.The next steps in the application process include:
• A general online assessment
• A first interview with HR
• Job-specific online trial assignments
• An online interview with the Head of Communication
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.