The Public Interest News Foundation (PINF) is the first charity in the UK that exists to support high-quality journalism. We exist at the cutting edge of charity law, and need an experienced charity professional to make sure we do things properly.
- Consultancy contract
- Flexible working, 24-30 days per year, at £240 per day
- Working from home with travel paid to attend meetings when necessary
About the Public Interest News Foundation
We want everyone in the UK to benefit from great journalism that speaks to them, for them and with them. With support from a range of donors, we provide funding, leadership development and networking opportunities to independent news providers across the UK, so that they can serve their communities with sustainable and ethical journalism. The Public Interest News Foundation is a company limited by guarantee (number 12320800) and a registered charity (number 1191397).
Purpose of the Position
The Business Manager will be responsible for ensuring that PINF operates within its legal and regulatory framework, including in relation to charity, corporate, tax, employment and data protection regulations. The role involves liaising with the Chair, Board of Trustees, Executive Director, legal advisors and regulators to support best practice in governance, risk management and compliance, and providing support to the Executive Director with related aspects of administration.
- Lead on governance and compliance issues for internal and external stakeholders, working with the Chair of Trustees and Executive Director to uphold governance standards.
- Ensure that PINF meets its legal and regulatory obligations, promptly completing filings with Companies House and the Charity Commission and addressing statutory matters efficiently.
- Serve as Company Secretary and liaise with the Board of Trustees, providing comprehensive support throughout the entire process of quarterly Trustee meetings, including tasks such as booking meeting rooms, organising catering, planning the agenda, preparing and circulating board papers, taking board minutes and action points and managing statutory records.
- Support the Executive Director to provide reports to the Trustees, enabling timely authorisation and feedback on priorities and budgets.
- Work with the Chair and Executive Director to devise and execute a board development plan in accordance with the UK Charity Governance Code, including training and trustee recruitment, rotation and development.
- Keep the risk register up to date and ensure regular reviews by the Board.
- Work with insurance brokers to ensure that insurance policies are up to date and fit for purpose.
- Support the Executive Director in the recruitment of staff, drafting and advertising role specifications, and liaising with employment lawyers where necessary to ensure that employment contracts, policies and procedures are up to date and reflect best practice.
- Manage the relationship with lawyers and ensure that PINF receives good quality and pragmatic legal advice.
- Ensure that PINF maintains a full suite of organisational policies which meet best practice and are regularly reviewed and revised.
- Degree or similar qualification in management, law, finance or a related field and at least five years’ experience relevant to this role.
- Deep understanding of good governance and best practice in the charity sector.
- Experience of working closely with trustees, non-executives or senior leadership teams.
- Strong oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent problem solving and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work remotely and independently and to collaborate with others.
- Full professional proficiency in English.
- Understanding of UK data protection laws and their application.
- Sympathy to the aims and objectives of PINF.
- Right to work in the UK.
Please send your details, your CV and a covering note explaining your interest and suitability for the role.
This position will remain open until filled.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.