ReachOut is a mentoring charity that works with young people in disadvantaged communities in London, Manchester, Oldham and Liverpool to raise aspirations and help them grow in character and academic attainment. We improve Numeracy, Literacy and Communication Skills whilst reinforcing our core values of Fairness, Self-Control, Good Judgement and Staying Power.
We are looking for enthusiastic, collaborative and positive individuals to join our Leadership Programme and become Project Leaders. As a Project Leader you will run a weekly mentoring project for young people in primary or secondary school, facilitating the 2-hour sessions alongside other responsibilities. The Leadership Programme is an opportunity to gain and improve your leadership, management and communication skills whilst having a massive impact on the lives of young people. You will be supporting them to raise their aspirations, develop their character, and build their academic attainment and self-confidence. Are you up for the challenge?
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, our projects will be starting online until it is safe for us to run sessions in schools again. Project Leaders will be trained on how to deliver sessions both online and in-person to prepare for this.
As a Project Leader you will:
- Spend 2 hours planning and 2 hours delivering your mentoring session each week during term time for 10 - 16 young people and their mentors.
- Manage and support the young people.
- Manage and support the volunteer mentors
- Complete monitoring and evaluation activities to assess project success.
Please download the information pack for full details about the job role.
- Has worked with groups of young people in the range 9 to 16 years old
- Has the potential to take on a leadership role
- Can demonstrate commitment to a cause / activity and has taken an active role in that (e.g. captain of a sports team, president of a society)
- Has professional work experience (e.g. internships, summer placements, etc.) This can include regular voluntary experience but should be positions where you have had responsibility for something, worked to deadlines, worked with others etc.
- Maths and English skills, (minimum grade C at GCSE or equivalent)
- Communication skills (face-to-face, email, text, phone)
- Good organisation skills (can manage tasks effectively, accurately and in timely fashion)
- Confident in use of MS Word and Excel
- Passionate about ReachOut’s mission
- Demonstrates ReachOut’s Character Strengths: Fairness, Good Judgement, Self-Control and Staying Power
- Demonstrate good team work skills such as collaboration and delegation
- Open to feedback with a genuine desire to learn and develop personally
- Enthusiastic and energetic
- Excited by challenge
- Prepared to be adaptable and creative
- Positive and sociable
To apply for the Leadership Programme, please visit our website where you can download our application form. We will ask you to send this to us along with your CV and shortlisted candidates will be invited to a Zoom assessment centre.
Applicants must ensure they are available to take part in our September Training. Full details of this are available in the information pack and Project Leaders will be paid a lump sum of £50 upon completion.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all spaces are filled so please apply as soon as possible. Please note, we are currently recruiting for our London and Liverpool locations as our Manchester projects are now full.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.