Fixed term contract until September 2020
At Refugee Action, we have a vision of a UK in which refugees and people seeking asylum will be welcome, can get justice, live free of poverty and successfully rebuild their lives. We empower refugees and people seeking asylum to influence our work, the issues that matter to them and decisions made by government and we are a trusted partner for others who share our vision.
Over the last 3 years, we have provided life-changing support to more than 3,000 resettled refugees and 8,000 people seeking asylum, strengthened the work of more than 140 charities, and secured important changes in government policy and practice on English language provision and support for asylum seekers at risk of destitution. We want to do far more to learn from and shift power to refugees and people seeking asylum. It’s an exciting time to be part of Refugee Action as we work towards achieving our 3-year strategy objectives (2019-22) through securing systemic change through our campaigns to change government policies, our direct services, and our work to strengthen and connect other service delivery organisations.
Services play a key role in delivering this strategy. We run targeted, outcome-based projects which address specific needs and gaps and test out new approaches to service delivery, which can then be scaled nationally through our Good Practice & Partnerships team. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Asylum Services Manager to join us and play a vital role in managing our portfolio of services in West Yorkshire that aim to support and empower people as they move through the asylum system and building a strong staff and volunteer team in West Yorkshire. We run services in four regions of England (North West, West Midlands, London and West Yorkshire).
• Manage several advice and support-based projects that support and empower people as they move through the asylum system. Currently these are: Children & Families, At Home in Bradford, Advice & Well-Being, Working English North and Transitions
• Build and maintain a strong and effective staff and volunteer team
To succeed in this pivotal role, you will have:
• Understanding of the needs, experience and hopes of refugees, asylum seekers and migrants, in particular in relation to justice, poverty and homelessness.
• Excellent management skills including setting up, managing and developing fast paced, empowering advice projects or services and one year’s experience of doing so.
• One year’s experience of building and leading high performing teams of staff and volunteers.
• Understanding of best practice in volunteering, and experience of harnessing the benefits and managing the challenges of volunteer-led advice services.
• Understanding of the legal part of the asylum and immigration process and the interaction between legal issues and wider asylum support issues.
• Experience of developing constructive partnerships with external agencies, including strong influencing and negotiation skills.
To apply please visit our website.
Those with lived experience as a refugee are encouraged to apply.
Closing date: 09:00am, Friday 6th September 2019
Interviews: Wednesday 18th September 2019