We are looking for a full time advisor but we are willing to employ on a part time basis for the right candidate
We will only consider applications with relevant legal experience. Qualifications needed are OISC level 2/3 or IAAS Level 2 Caseworker/Solicitor.
We particularly welcome and encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic individuals, and those who are migrants or refugees, and who have lived experience of the impact of immigration policy and practice. We also particularly encourage those with lived experience of rough sleeping to apply.
Salary and Benefits: £30500 for OISC level 3/IAAS Level 2 or equivalent qualified candidates, £28,500 for OISC level 2 qualified candidates
Contract Duration: Permanent
Pension scheme – Employer contribution 6%
Holiday entitlement: 28 days annual leave, childcare vouchers and cycle to work scheme available
Location: RAMFEL’s offices in Ilford /Stratford, UPDATE: During the Covid-19 crisis/Lockdown period you will be required to work from home until it is safe for us to run services from our offices
The Refugee and Migrant Forum of Essex and London is an OISC level 3 registered charity, that provides advice to help people access justice. We are expanding our legal advice provision and looking for a new adviser to join our small legal team. The roles gives an opportunity to assist some of the most vulnerable people in our society. The focus of the role is on supporting people who otherwise have no access to legal advice and support. There will be particular focus on working with people who are facing a crisis, providing legal work that will take them out of destitution and on a path towards integration.
- Manage own caseload, working to advance the best interests of the client
- Adhere to standards set out by IAAS/OISC and AQS to deliver high quality advice
- Provide advice up to OISC level 2/3 or IAAS Level 2.
- Engage with the legal services manager to create and follow a training plan to ensure compliance with OISC CPD, keeping up to date with changes in law, policy and guidance to ensure clients receive accurate and high quality advice
- Undertake fee-paying work as part of our low cost service
- Liaise directly with the UKVI/HOIE and related governmental agencies
- Completion of forms, letters and applications
- Liaise with and refer clients to solicitors or other advisers, as appropriate
- Manage client expectations by discussing deadlines, outcomes and timing
- Deliver legal advice outreach surgeries as and when required (none currently planned for this role)
- Ensure that any reporting and monitoring requirements agreed with funders are met in full
- Maintain client files and records in line with file management procedures
- Seek to continuously improve in order that the Charity delivers the best possible service to beneficiaries
- Ensure that all of Ramfel’s Policies and Procedures are adhered to at all times
- Attend internal training and external training as and when required
- Participate in regular supervisions and team meetings
- Act as a positive ambassador for the Charity at all times
- Undertake any other duties that may be reasonably required
The post holder is expected to be responsive to Ramfel's policies, priorities and the changing needs of the organisation and will be expected to adapt their workload as required.
This post will report to the Rough Sleeper Team Manager.
Hours of work and leave
The position is FULL TIME (37.5 hours we may be able to accept part time working hours for the right candidate. It is inevitable that in the nature of Ramfel's work the Immigration Advisor will occasionally exceed this. When more hours are worked, time may be taken off in lieu by arrangement with other members of the Team and with the appropriate member of management. Holiday entitlement is 28 days per annum plus bank holidays for full-time roles.
- Candidates must be IAAS Level 2 or OISC level 2 qualified or;
- OISC level 1 qualified and prepared to work under supervision at level 2 as well as to study to qualify for level 2 (training will be provided).
- Experience providing high quality advice and representation to clients
- A good understanding of law and policy as it relates to immigration and asylum
- Experience of professional, independent and impartial service delivery to the public
- Experience of maintaining a caseload of cases in line with OISC requirements in relation to the conduct of cases, file management and supervision
- Knowledge of and empathy with the backgrounds and experiences of asylum seekers and vulnerable migrants
- Experience of using client databases
- Experience of working with interpreters supporting clients with complex matters
- Ability to manage a caseload autonomously, prioritise workload and meet deadlines
- Aptitude for grasping complex issues rapidly
- Ability to demonstrate good client facing skills
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office
- Communicates effectively at all levels, both verbally and written
- Supportive team player
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Ramfel
- Has a positive, resilient, enthusiastic and pro-active approach
- Ability to demonstrate behaviour in keeping with Ramfel’s core values of Teamwork, Respect, Integrity and Fairness
- Knowledge of the welfare and support entitlements of asylum seekers in the UK
- Working knowledge of complex EUSS applications
- Experience of legal aid work
- Fluency in other languages
- Experience supporting and developing volunteers
Please send CV and cover letter explaining why you are right for this role. We will only consider applications with relevant legal experience. Qualifications needed are OISC level 2/3 or IAAS Level 2 Caseworker/a Solicitor.