Context and Purpose of the Job
Founded the same year as the United Nations 1951 Refugee Convention, Refugee Council has been working for 70 years supporting refugees and asylum seekers to rebuild their lives. Our vision is a UK that is a welcoming place of safety for people who seek refuge from persecution and human rights abuses abroad. Every day we support people who have fled war, oppression or torture in their home countries, only to find that the UK treats them with disbelief, hostility and suspicion. We are passionate about helping and empowering refugees, both through a range of core holistic services, and through highly respected and influential advocacy work.
The Income Generation (Fundraising) Directorate is responsible for securing income to support Refugee Council’s charitable objectives. This role sits within Donor Development (Individual Giving), a team within Fundraising. The Fundraising team’s work includes fundraising from a range of donors including individuals, trusts and foundations, statutory sources, corporates and major donors. This role, within the Donor Development Team secures donations from individuals giving up to £5,000 per year.
The purpose of this role is to effectively manage a portfolio of retention and stewardship projects, contributing to the Supporter Retention income targets and KPIs.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Project Management
- Independently plan and project manage a portfolio of retention and stewardship campaigns including, but not limited to, cash appeals, legacy marketing activity, email and social media communications.
- Deliver each project from start to finish. Source content and create briefs, liaise with suppliers, create and oversee data selections, exports and imports and manage sign off process.
- Play an active role in content sourcing and sharing – both written case studies and photography. Including, but not limited to, taking photos, organising photo shoots, interviewing staff and clients to gain first-hand accounts.
- Play an active role in the Social Media Group – attending weekly meetings, proactively suggesting content ideas and creating social media posts on a weekly basis.
- Data and reporting
- Produce accurate rolling and end of campaign reports for all projects, suggesting improvements wherever possible.
- Accurately manipulate data, applying test segments, prompt values, variable text and other additions where needed.
- Create complex print briefs, ensuring accuracy in order to avoid compliance breaches.
- Budgets and finance
- Monitor project progress against income and spend targets, identifying challenges that may affect achievement and communication potential solutions in a proactive and timely manner to the Retention Manager.
- Complete monthly financial reporting in line with organisational schedule and as requested by Supporter Retention Manager.
- Manage the timely payment of suppliers; adhering to processes and monitoring all spend accurately.
- Internal and External Relationships
- Develop collaborative, effective and supportive relationships with staff across the charity in order to develop compelling and accurate fundraising communications.
- Communicate regularly and accurately with Supporter Retention Manager, within IG team and Digital Communications meetings and with all communications colleagues, to ensure that opportunities are identified and maximised and duplication of work is avoided wherever possible.
- Sector knowledge and compliance
- Stay up to date with trends and activity within the sector – including monthly desk research as well as attending seminars and workshops and networking with other fundraisers.
- Ensure to keep up to date with all compliance changes within the sector – including, but not limited to, the ICO and Fundraising Regulator.
- Working with Supporter Retention Manager and Senior Direct Marketing Officer, ensure that all contracts and data agreements are in place with all external contractors that are used throughout the year. Contribute to annual audit of all contracts and data agreements in order to stay compliant.
Health & Safety
The post holder is responsible for:
- Cooperating with the Refugee Council in delivering all legal responsibilities in respect of your own and your colleagues, volunteers, clients and others health and safety whilst at work.
- Becoming familiar with the Refugee Council’s Health & Safety Policy and procedures including evacuation procedures at your workplace.
- Carrying out risk assessments of your own work and especially of your own workstation to ensure that you do not expose yourself or others to unnecessary risk.
In order to deliver services effectively, a degree of flexibility is needed and the post-holder may be required to perform work not specifically referred to above. Such duties will, however, fall within the scope of the job, at the appropriate grade. The job description will be subject to periodic review with the post-holder to ensure it accurately reflects the duties of the job.
Equal Opportunities Statement
As part of its recruitment policy, the Refugee Council intends to ensure that no prospective or actual employee is discriminated against on the basis of race, sex, nationality, marital status, sexual orientation, employment status, class, disability, age, religious belief or political persuasion, or is disadvantaged by any condition or requirement which is not demonstrably justifiable.
Working at the Refugee Council
A commitment to the work of the Refugee Council.
The post-holder will need to effectively manage their own workload and medium and long term plans and objectives.
The role is currently undertaken from home due to Covid-19 restrictions and will be a mixture of office/homeworking once restrictions are lifted.
We are committed to equality and diversity at the Refugee Council and actively encourage applicants from underrepresented groups. If you need any adjustments made to the application process to accommodate your needs, please let us know.
For more information, please download the job description on our website.
To apply, please visit our website via the apply button.
Please note that we can only consider applications submitted via our application form.
Closing date: 24 May 2021.