Relate is the UK’s largest provider of relationship support, reaching more than four million people in 2018/19 alone and countless more since we were founded in 1938. Through the national charity and a network of 29 independent local Centres, we work across England and Wales in more than 600 different sites, employing more than 1,500 practitioners, mediators and educationalists.
Relate’s services are supported by a contribution from a turnover of approximately £580k pa from 9 shops across England operated by teams of paid staff and volunteers. This contribution allows greater access to affordable relationship support within the local community.
We believe strong relationships underpin the strength and cohesion of communities. We are best known for our counselling services, but today Relate is much, much more. We are at an exciting and critical phase in our development, looking at ways to better support people of all ages and personal circumstances to deal with an increasingly complex range of relationship issues, embrace the challenges and opportunities of living in a digital world, as well as building an approach which helps and empowers people to build effective and sustainable relationships in every aspect and at every stage of their lives
- To lead the ongoing development of an ambitious retail strategy encompassing existing shops and exploring new business opportunities which result in a marked increase in the financial contribution to Relate.
- To empower and support a network of 9 Relate shops across England to deliver a level of income which will allow greater access to affordable relationship support from the community they operate within
Leading people by:
- Providing inspired leadership to the shop teams.
- Developing a strong sense of team that enables peers to share best practice and work closely alongside one another across the network.
Maximising income through:
- Striving to exceed the agreed sales targets though the support of marketing and donations.
- Supporting shops to develop their own retail model that maximises income, and is owned and lead at shop level but complements the wider retail strategic direction across Relate.
- Ensuring financial planning and delivery is discussed and understood by shop teams.
- Empowering shop teams to own their budget and take responsibility for it.
- Create and interpret sales reports that shops can use to make decisions and grow and develop aspects of their business.
- Work with shop teams to maximise their community reach for volunteer recruitment and product sourcing.
- Enable shops to become fully embedded within their local communities.
- Work with the Director of Operations to develop an ambitious and achievable retail strategy.
Ensuring effective day to day operational management:
- Developing and ensuring compliance with policies and procedures, including those relating to Health and Safety responsibilities within the shops including Covid-19 and safeguarding concerns.
- Effective administration, reporting and oversight to agreed standards.
- Day to day shop management such as stock rotation, staffing rotas, volunteer management, etc.
- Regularly reviewing the income versus expenditure of each shop and makes recommendations to the Executive Leadership Team about the viability of each.
Significant levels of travel are required – the post holder requires a full UK driving licence.
Key skills and competencies
- A minimum of 5 years multi-site management experience in retailing and/or charity retailing.
- Proven experience in leading, developing, motivating, empowering and delegating to a team of diverse people in a variety of different ways.
- Driven by income growth across shops, and proven experience of managing multiple teams to consistently exceed financial targets.
- An exceptional communicator, with proven ability to adapt communication style to suit situations.
- Promotes change with demonstrable experience of driving change to produce positive results.
- A resourceful problem solver who is adept at managing a heavy workload with numerous conflicting priorities and consistently achieves positive outcomes.
- Proven positive, entrepreneurial focus in maximising every opportunity, and thinking outside of the box to achieve results.
- Experience of launching projects, and taking them through all phases to a successful completion.
- Willingness to take on new challenges and to learn, grow and develop within a role.
- Experience and confidence using Microsoft Office programmes, email and the internet.
- Desire and passion for the values, work and ethos of Relate.
- Champions diversity, equality and inclusion across the working environment.
- Experience of working with volunteers.
- Working knowledge of Health and Safety regulations and procedures.
- Salary of £32,000 per annum
- 35 hour working week
- Access to learning and development
- 36 days annual leave (including bank holidays)
- Westfield Health
- Supportive working environment
How to apply
Please submit a comprehensive CV and a cover letter of no more than two sides of A4 stating how you meet the person specification.
Advert open: 20 November 2020
Closing date: 27 November 2020
Shortlisting and applicants informed: 30 November 2020
Interviews online including pre-prepared presentation to a given subject: 4 December 2020
Proposed start date: 4 January 2021
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.