Statement of Work (SoW)
Duration: A maximum of 60 days over a maximum of seven months, in two phases
Reports To: Board of Trustees & CEO
About Relief International:
Relief International is a leading not for profit organisation working to relieve poverty, ensure the well-being, and advance the dignity of vulnerable communities. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach – which we call the RI Way – emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design, and implement the solutions that work best for them.
Relief International is legally an alliance between independently registered charitable organisations in the US, UK, and France. Relief International’s global support functions are combined as one management team, based across our head offices in these three countries. This geographical mix fosters collaboration and maximizes the resources we can deploy for the delivery of services in the countries where we operate.
Summary of the Consultancy
The organisation has grown rapidly from <$50 million in programme expenditure in 2014 to >$120 million in 2019. While growth has allowed RI to extend its services (mission) to millions of the most vulnerable communities in 16 countries, growth has also exerted extreme pressure on RI systems, structure, and resources. While RI management continues to be occupied with managing RI operations in a rapidly changing world, RI’s Board of Trustees (also referred to as Board of Directors) and the CEO are looking for a experienced independent contractor to (i) assess RI’s Finance Functions and their effectiveness in supporting Programme Management, and (ii) set and guide the implementation of a road-map for identified policy and process improvements.
Phase 1 -- Analysis, Report, and Planning. 20 days over a maximum of six weeks
During this phase, the Financial Systems Optimisation Consultant will:
- Use appropriate qualitative and quantitative data collection methods and extensive knowledge of INGO Financial Management to analyze the Finance Function and the effectiveness of its support for the programme implementation function.
- Engage with leadership and with team members of the Finance, Programmes, and Awards Management departments.
- The scope of this engagement includes:
- Finance Department
- Determine the department’s strengths and priority areas of improvement, including whether the department has the right structure, roles, and capability to support RI Operations, donors’ reporting needs, management decision making, Foreign Exchange risk management, treasury management, cash flow forecasting, and audit readiness.
- Assess the Financial system (NetSuite) strengths, limitations, challenges, and level of implementation.
- Review the department’s capabilities/limitations concerning the production of timely, accurate, and useful Budget Variance Analysis and ensuring appropriate monitoring and reporting of variances.
- Programme Management Interface
- Assess the effectiveness of the interface between Finance and Programme Management functions to guide proposal writing, budgeting, and award management.
- Review of Award Management Operating Model, including clarification of delegated authority, reporting lines, and accountability between country, regional and global personnel to ensure effective project expenditure control.
- Produce an Executive Summary highlighting strengths and outlining any gaps or deficiencies within and between these two functions.
- Informed by the above analysis and brief report-out, engage with Trustees and CEO to agree on prioritization of needed improvements and development of a plan for the implementation of remedial actions including clear accountability, a time-frame, and allocation of resources.
Phase 2 - Implementation - Time and Duration TBD, but not to exceed five months.
Work collaboratively with the CEO and Senior Management Team to guide the Finance Function and relevant stakeholders in the implementation of the plan developed in Phase 1. Specific deliverables to include (but are not limited to):
- The capability to produce timely and accurate monthly management accounts and budget variance analysis, cash forecasting, treasury management, foreign exchange risk management, and audit readiness.
- Rationalized operating structure with appropriate interface and accountability between Financial and Programme Management functions.
- Closing interview with the Boards of Trustees and CEO.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- Direct experience working with or in large INGOs or not-for-profit/charity field at leadership, executive, or advisory roles
- Extensive Financial Management, grant, and award management experience. Strong understanding of Programme Management is a significant plus.
- Established track record of change management to promote financial integrity and organisational efficiency.
- Knowledge of and experience in working with major governmental donors (ex., USAID/OFDA, ECHO, DFID, UN agencies, etc.) and demonstrated know-how of donor expectations and requirements are significant pluses.
- Ability to work effectively at both strategic and operational levels.
- Excellent, research, analytical, and communication skills
Due to limited resources only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Note to external agencies, we will not be accepting applications from third parties
Relief International is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity.
Relief International is committed to safeguarding and protecting the welfare of vulnerable adults and children as a priority. This is reflected in our pre-employment checks and requirement to verify and check the identity and references of all applicants.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.