Title: Global Security Training Manager
Department: Safety and Security
Location: This position can be based in the following locations:Washington DC (or homebased East Coast), London (or homebased in UK), RI country of operation (applicants must a have the right to work in Country where they are based and national terms and conditions apply)
Reporting to: VP Safety and Security
Direct reports: None
Budget responsibility: None
Travel: Up to 30% depending on need. It is expected this role will be primarily based from home. The organisation is undertaking regular reviews and risk assessments to review travel restriction on a global and local level.
* This role is classified as requiring advanced pre-employment checks
ABOUT Relief International.
Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organization working in 16 countries globally to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises, and chronic poverty.
RI combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact and resilience. We focus on health/nutrition, education, economic opportunity, and water, sanitation, hygiene (WASH) programming while integrating protection, environment/climate change, and conflict mitigation in partnership with the communities we serve. We empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
RI includes the three corporate members of the RI Alliance: RI-US, RI-UK, and MRCA/RI-France. Under our alliance agreement, we operate as a single, shared management structure.
About our Programs
RI is active in 16 countries around the world, including some of the most fragile: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Myanmar, Pakistan, Philippines, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen. Often, RI is the only organization providing assistance to highly vulnerable communities.
RI employs about 5,000 staff and auxiliary workers
97% of staff are local nationals and there are about 90 international (expat) staff.
2021 programs budget is about $125M
RI receives funding from a broad range of institutional donors – US,UK, Europe, and the UN, to delivery life-saving and resilience building programming with communities and local and international partners. RI supports solutions that reinforce and improve upon existing in-country systems. Where such systems do not exist or are chronically underperforming, RI’s crisis response lays the foundation for long-term, sustainable change.
RI is looking to recruit a Global Security Training Manager who combines strong skills in delivery and management of training. This role requires strategic awareness for the creation and implementation of a global policy in order to generate effective, sustainable training solutions for RI in the field of safety and security.
RI maintains a wide range of security training requirements, from personal safety and security trainings for individual staff members (such as HEAT, first aid etc) through to management trainings (incident management, security risk management etc). We are looking for a candidate with the ability to engage with key stakeholders across the organisation to identify training needs, design a strategy for accomplishing RI’s long-term security training goals, and implementation of the steps required to achieve this (from Policy through to oversight on training materials and capacity building for staff delivering these).
Key Responsibilities and Duties.
- Developing the RI Security Training Strategy and designing an accompanying policy
- Supporting Regional and Country Office teams with the development of training needs assessments
- Working collaboratively with the Director of Training and Development to ensure the RI global LMS system is effectively utilised and training recorded
- Developing RI Security training course curricula, including learning objectives and core competencies
- Coordinating the Global standardisation and local contextualisation of security training materials within and across RI
- Providing capacity building, technical direction and guidance on security training, competency, and behaviour to RI staff
- Managing the selection, data-basing, and relationships with third-party training vendors (for HEAT, medical, driver training etc)
- Maintaining an awareness of humanitarian sector best training practices, developments, and tools
- Deploying to support RI Regional Offices and Country programme teams with training requirements as requested
- Enabling regular reviews and reporting on compliance
- Liaison with partner agencies for provision of trainings (e.g. UN SSAFE, INSO HEIST) and to support overall coordination
- Administrative and logistics planning in training delivery
- Uphold and promote RI’s commitment to ensuring the safeguarding and safety of the vulnerable communities we serve
- Ensure that your behaviour inside and outside of work promotes the values outlined with RI’s code of conduct and safeguarding policies
- Consistent with RI’s safeguarding and protection policies, contribute to ensuring that all those who come into contact with Relief International staff and the communities we serve can be trusted to work safely with them
- Support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents sexual exploitation and abuse and promotes the implementation of the Code of Conduct and safeguarding policies
- Work collaboratively with the Global Safeguarding Lead to advocate for the inclusion of safeguarding activities and resources within program
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of donor requirements of safeguarding standards and protection from exploitation and abuse
Culture and leadership
- Contribute a positive and productive work environment which is free from harassment and bullying.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity and understanding of diversity and cultural differences, gender issues and the commitment to equal opportunities
- Ability to demonstrate and uphold RI’s values and ethics
Other related tasks that may from time to time
QUALIFICATIONS & SKILLS REQUIREMENTS
- Track record of achievement in a previous, similar role with a progressive work experience and responsibility within an INGO context
- Experience working as a Trainer of Trainers (or Training-the-Trainer)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience
- Fluent in English and other regional languages (especially Arabic) are an advantage however not essential
- Proven cross-cultural awareness and communication skills and delivering training in different countries
- Excellent training management skills, including design and management of long-term training programs (and producing training needs assessments);
- Strong training delivery skills, for a range of audiences, linguistic contexts, and varying levels of seniority
- Proven ability to work with diverse array of stakeholders to achieve lasting results
- Willingness to travel, sometimes at short notice, as required for the successful implementation of the role
Guided by the humanitarian principles of humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and independence, as well as “Do No Harm,” Relief International Values:
How to apply.
- To apply for this post, click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page
- You will be asked to upload a CV and Cover Letter. The cover letter should be no more than 2 pages long and explain why you are interested in this post with Relief International and how your skills and experience make you a good fit.
Closing date. Note the closing date as per the job board listing, however, please apply immediately as we will be reviewing applicants on a rolling basis and may withdraw the position before the job board closing date.
Please apply by uploading your cover letter and up-to-date CV on our website.
COVID 19: To ensure a safe workplace, RI follows government requirements, and in some locations a mandatory vaccination policy applies. When working or traveling on RI business, all staff, contractors and visitors must follow the rules and entry requirements of the country.
Due to limited resources, only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Relief International has a zero-tolerance policy for unlawful harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse. Relief International is committed to protecting our staff and the communities we work with from abuse and harm including sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and sexual harassment.
All staff are expected to abide by our Code of Conduct.
Recruitment to all roles in Relief International include a criminal records self-declaration, references and other pre-employment checks, which may include police and qualifications checks.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.