The Religious Education Council (REC) of England and Wales is the umbrella body for organisations involved in Religious Education. It recently sponsored the influential Commission on RE and is now working on the implementation of the Commission’s report. It runs the prestigious RE Quality Mark Scheme (REQM).
The small REC staff are working from home during the current lockdown. The REC registered office is at the CAN Mezzanine near Old Street Station in London, where a desk is normally rented. The IEO will be home-based, making some visits to the office when it opens again or to meetings once the current emergency passes.
Following the appointment of our CEO, Rudolf Eliott Lockhart, to be CEO of the Independent Schools Association with effect from 1st August 2020, the REC is looking to appoint a contractor to manage the REC on an interim basis. The contract will commence on 1st June 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter, to allow for an overlap period of about a month and will finish at the end of March 2021. During this interim period the Board will plan for the next phase of the REC’s work.
Working closely with our Communications and Executive Officer, the key responsibility will be to ensure that the REC delivers on its contracts and commitments (statutory and otherwise) and maintains its services to members during the interim period. The contractor will support the Board in its work of planning for the next phase of the REC’s work.
The successful contractor will be accountable to the Board and will work closely with the REC Chair, Professor Trevor Cooling.
The REC has a budget in the region of £40K for this contract. Tenders will be expected to identify which elements of the work can be delivered by the bidder and the relevant expertise that is offered. It may be possible to accept different tenders for different elements of the work.
The timetable for awarding the contract is as follows:
Closing date for tenders - 21st April
Invitation to Interview - 24th April
Virtual Interviews - 1st May
The key responsibilities of the successful contractor will be:
- Overseeing and supporting the REC Communications and Executive Officer in providing clerking services to the Board and its four committees, including the preparation and processing of papers and implementation of decisions.
- Supporting the Board’s four Officers and participating in their monthly meetings.
- Implementing the policies and decisions of the Board.
- Reporting to the Board on all aspects of the REC’s work
- Coordinating the work of the Board’s four committees to ensure the overall coherence of the REC’s work .
- Maintaining the efficient and effective operation of the REC office during its homeworking stage and when the office reopens.
- Supporting the REC Communications and Executive Officer in his responsibility for the day-to-day function of running the REC.
- Supporting the consultants under contract to the REC (currently REQM Manger, fund raiser, web-developer, bid-writer) in the effective and efficient delivery of their contracts.
- Ensuring that the REC manages and accounts for its financial resources efficiently and effectively and fulfils its statutory compliance responsibilities.
- Making arrangements for REC General meeting in November 2020.
- Management of the Worldview Project including the major conference scheduled for October 2020
- Management of the Local Area Network Pilot Project.
- Supporting the REC Communications and Executive Officer in the management of the Young Ambassadors Scheme.
- Supporting and advising the Board in its consideration of the next steps for the REC.