**Start dates available in February, April and August 2021**
This is a paid, dynamic, one year opportunity to develop coaching and leadership skills whilst bringing about social transformation in the local community as a powerful expression of the Christian life and faith.
In partnership with various churches we are recruiting for a Graduate Coach to join our Spear teams. This is an amazing opportunity to join our experienced and passionate team of coaches who each work as part of a local church in a number of locations to deliver the Spear Programme, equipping and empowering unemployed 16 – 24 year olds to overcome disadvantage and turn their lives around by moving into sustainable work or further education.
What will you do?
- Coach on Spear Foundation
The year-long programme kicks off with Spear Foundation, a 6-week initial phase running 6 times a year at each Centre. We coach disadvantaged young people around skills and mindsets to support them in returning to work or education, and equipping them with the skills to stay there. You’ll be given all the training needed to deliver this, preparing and coaching group and 1-1 sessions, and support the daily administrative function of the programme. You’ll also oversee the Spear Celebration Events at the end of each programme, assigning roles, organising volunteers, and planning equipment/resources.
- Spear Career
You’ll meet with trainees 1:1 on a weekly basis as part of this ongoing programme offered to those who complete Spear Foundation, supporting them to stay in work and progress over the year that follows.
- External Relationship-Building
You’ll purposefully build relationships with relevant professionals at local organisations, and communicate directly with young people, to encourage referrals onto the Spear programme.
- Intentional Church Community
Spear Graduate Coaches are directly employed by the partner church at which their Centre is based, meaning you’re part of a vibrant church staff team and submerged in an exciting faith community, whilst remaining robustly supported by the Resurgo coaching team and expertise. Part of your role is establish a personal presence within the community as your regular place of worship, and build a strong and committed network of supporters in the partner church to help source employment, funding and volunteer opportunities for Spear. You’ll also have the opportunity to work with church staff to engage trainees in the wider church programme, helping them find community and explore life’s big questions.
What will you gain?
- Christian Leadership Skills through continual feedback, vulnerability, and challenge, and have opportunities to practise these skills in regular staff prayer meetings for both Resurgo and the church, as well as in Spear team meetings and events.
- Social Impact Awareness – you’ll gain a working understanding of the issues affecting your church’s community, work with the church to tailor Spear accordingly and understand effective and meaningful ways of measuring this impact.
- Excellent coaching capability, through the iLM accredited 5-day ‘Coaching for Leadership’ programme. You’ll continue to develop your coaching skills while delivering the Spear programme through intensive on-the-job support and weekly 1-1 mentoring.
- Management skills, so that you have the skills and confidence needed to become a Lead Coach within a year, and then a Spear Centre Manager within 3 years, with responsibility for Centre staff, young people and outcomes.
Please see the Team Guide on the 'work with us' page of our website for the kind of person who thrives with us; below are a few things we’re particularly looking for in this role:
- Effective interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence, a sense of humour and sense of fun!
- Excellent communication skills, confident face to face communication, and a great telephone manner.
- Desire to grow and learn spiritually and as a leader, including a desire to learn and understand coaching technique.
- Ambitious and self-motivated with good time management skills and the ability to prioritise workload, exercise initiative and work well under pressure.
- A-levels or equivalent are essential; degree level or equivalent qualifications desirable.
Working requirements, salary & benefits
- Starting salary £20,500 in London centres, dependent on location and experience, plus pension scheme. An additional bursary of up to £5,000 is available for BAME candidates, as we work with many young people from BAME backgrounds and so particularly encourage applications from potential coaches from backgrounds similar to that of our trainees. Further information is available from our People and Culture team.
- One year fixed term contract with potential for renewal and excellent progression opportunities
- Full-time Monday to Friday, 9.30am – 5.30pm
- Flexible locations and remote working may be possible
- 25 days annual leave.
- Occasional evening working required (for events such as termly Spear Celebration evenings and the annual Resurgo fundraising party).
- Excellent staff development and training opportunities, including accredited coaching and leadership training
- There may be a requirement to become part of the partner church congregation, and you will be expected to participate in church team events as well as wider Resurgo team events, including weekly staff prayer meetings and annual staff conferences in summer and winter (one residential)
- We offer an Employee Assistance Programme (a confidential support service for staff)
- A DBS check will be requested in the event of a job offer
In 2017 Resurgo won the Princess Royal Training Awards which honours employers that have created outstanding training and skills development programmes.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.