Would you like to work for a leading mental health charity?
Do you want a rewarding career where you can really make a difference?
If yes, join us here at Rethink Mental Illness.
Due to growth, we have an exciting opportunity for a Mental Health Helpline Support Worker to join our inspiring and friendly Black Country Helpline team. Your role will be a fixed term position until 31st March 2022 working part time, 30 hours per week based in the service.
Our Black Country Helpline service is a freephone service for those in need of support, reassurance and understanding for anyone experiencing emotional distress, carers, friends or family who require support about someone they know This telephone based service is open 365 days and no referral is required.
Who are we?
We’re Rethink Mental Illness, a leading charity provider of mental health services in England. We support thousands of people through our groups, services, policy, campaigns and advice and information. Our work supports us in delivering on our mission: “A better life for everyone severely affected by mental illness.”
In everything we do, we seek to demonstrate our values: Passion, Commitment, Openness, Hope, Expertise and Understanding. If these values resonate with you, we would love to hear from you.
What will you be doing?
- Answering the Helpline line in a compassionate, non-judgemental and professional manner
- Providing confidential advice and emotional support to callers
- Carrying out effective assessments of callers using active listening skills, risk assessment (including suicide risk assessment) and offer the following services:
- Carrying out crisis intervention as needed
- Providing information and make appropriate referrals to next-day follow up services, or community services
- Ensuring a provision of appropriate signposting and referrals to statutory or community and voluntary sector services for ongoing mental health treatment or services
Do you have what we are looking for?
- Experience of providing support to people with a mental illness; or experience of providing care and/or support services within another social care setting in either a paid or voluntary capacity.
- Ability to make a comprehensive assessment of an individual’s situation and needs; to develop, implement and review risk management plans and devise support plans and activities to meet these needs.
What will you receive?
You will have plenty of opportunities to enhance your abilities with the opportunity to make a real difference every day. In addition, you will have excellent development opportunities including funded training, career development and a range e-learning courses. You will also receive:
- Salary of £17,433.82 to 19,860.93 pro rata
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance and employee assistance programme
- 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days plus bank holidays
- Your "Rethink Day" - 1 day’s additional leave (pro rata) on your Birthday
- Eyecare vouchers
- Flexible working
Don’t just change jobs, change lives!
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we're unlikely to be fully reopening our Dudley or Wolverhampton offices in the near future. Therefore, the role will involve a mixture of working from home and if required office working until we’ve fully re-opened the office. We will continue to review the situation inline with government guidelines
Just a couple of final things,
We welcome applications from everyone, applicants with lived experience, those who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning+ (LGBTQ+), people with a disability, or those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds are actively encouraged to apply. We are proud to have also been awarded Disability Confident employer status. We have an ambition of becoming an anti-racist organisation and we recognise there is more to do in ensuring our recruitment is fair and inclusive, which is why we are recruiting new roles in helping us to achieve this. Please be mindful that we may need to close adverts early if we receive a high volume of applications, we therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible. If a shortened closing date has a significant impact on your ability to apply, please let us know.