Do you want a rewarding career where you can really make a difference?
Have you got experience in a media role and are looking to work for a leading mental health charity?
If so, you could be the person we are looking for
We’re Rethink Mental Illness, a leading charity provider of mental health services in England. We support thousands of people through our groups, services, policy, campaigns and advice and information. Our work supports us in delivering on our mission: “A better life for everyone severely affected by mental illness.”
We have a very exciting opportunity for a Senior Media Officer to join us.
As Senior Media Officer, I am passionate about raising the profile of Rethink Mental Illness in print, digital and broadcast media. Working alongside the Head of Media, I proactively use my creativity and first-rate written and verbal communication skills to help deliver impactful media plans and campaigns. You will join us on a permanent contract working full time, 35 hours per week from home, but when required you will be in our Albert Embankment Office and around London.
In everything we do, we seek to demonstrate our values: Passion, Commitment, Openness, Hope, Expertise and Understanding. If these values resonate with you, we would love to hear from you.
What will you be doing?
- Working closely with the Head of Media, I am responsible for developing and delivering creative and impactful media plans and campaigns.
- I am the lead contact for reactive media enquiries from national, local and trade media.
- With the support from the Head of Media, I pitch stories to national, regional and trade journalists.
- I draft engaging and accurate press releases, reactive statements, articles and blogs for publication.
- I build and develop positive relationships with journalists, maintaining and enhancing the charity’s reputation as a reliable source of information on mental illness.
- I manage a network of media volunteers, with lived experience of mental illness, who are involved in promoting Rethink Mental Illness and our work.
- Working with the Head of Media, I ensure that spokespeople are fully briefed before any media appearance and are fully debriefed afterwards.
- I advise colleagues from across the organisation on dealing with the media.
- I work co-operatively and collaboratively across the organisation to protect its reputation in the media.
- I provide media support for our charity partner Mental Health UK
- I help monitor, record, and evaluate media coverage and report on this as required.
- I attend and represent the charity in regular meetings with partner organisations and public bodies.
- I support the delivery of an out of hours rota.
- I keep up to date with trends in media coverage and the public relations activities of stakeholders in the sector.
- I update the news and media sections of website.
Do you have what we are looking for?
- I have a minimum of one years solid media/press experience
- I have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to decipher complex information and transform it into engaging content.
- I have demonstrable experience of helping deliver creative and impactful media plans and campaigns.
- I have excellent people skills and a strong track record of building relationships with journalists and media professionals.
- I am dynamic, driven and ambitious about improving the lives of people severely affected by mental illness and their carers
- I know what makes a good story and can convey that to colleagues across the charity.
- I have experience of supporting case studies and ensuring that their needs are met when dealing with the media.
- I can spot risks and act on them to protect the charity’s reputation.
- I work proactively and collaboratively with colleagues, partners and other stakeholders to achieve outcomes and impact.
- I can prioritise workload demands and positively respond to unforeseen challenges.
What will you receive?
You will have plenty of opportunities to enhance your skills with the chance to make a real difference every day. In addition, you will have excellent development opportunities including funded training, career development and a range e-learning courses. You will also receive:
- Salary of ££28,087.95 to £30,265.24 or £30,734.05 to £32,911.34 (inc. London Weighting)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Life assurance and employee assistance programme
- 25 days annual leave rising to 30 days plus bank holidays
- Your "Rethink Day" - one day’s additional leave (pro rata) on your birthday
- Eyecare vouchers
- Flexible working
Don’t just change jobs, change lives!
Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, we're unlikely to be fully reopening our Albert Embankment office for some time. Therefore, the role will involve a mixture of working from home and, if required, office working until we’ve fully re-opened the office. We will continue to review the situation in line with government guidelines.
Just a couple of final things,
We welcome applications from everyone, applicants with lived experience, those who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning+ (LGBTQ+), people with a disability, or those from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) backgrounds are actively encouraged to apply. We are proud to have also been awarded Disability Confident employer status. We have an ambition of becoming an anti-racist organisation and we recognise there is more to do in ensuring our recruitment is fair and inclusive, which is why we are recruiting new roles in helping us to achieve this. Please be mindful that we may need to close adverts early if we receive a high volume of applications, we therefore encourage you to apply as soon as possible. If a shortened closing date has a significant impact on your ability to apply, please let us know.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.