About Rethinking Economics
Rethinking Economics (RE) is an international network working to build a better Economics in society and the classroom. We started as a student movement in 2012 and have since grown to become a registered charity with a 7-person staff team. Through a mixture of campaigning, events and projects, we support over 100 groups in over 30 countries around the world, alongside thousands of supportive members of the public, to reform the university Economics curriculum to make it more pluralist, critical and applicable to the real world.
Rethinking Economics is undertaking an exciting transition process in which we are developing and expanding the future of the organisation.
Over the next year we will be launching a book on the lack of diversity in Economics, redeveloping our website and visual communications and building a spokesperson network of student economists that will promote Rethinking Economics in the UK.
What we’re looking for
Effective communications are at the heart of everything we do. We are looking for a dynamic communications professional who can take the lead on overhauling and professionalising Rethinking Economics’ branding, website, communications and marketing strategy. You will have a keen eye for effective communication tools, and you will be passionate about keeping up to date with sector trends and have solid knowledge of best practice.
This is a new role and the successful candidate will have a real opportunity to make their mark on the communication function of Rethinking Economics. Your communications will attract new members, supporters and drive the growth of the organisation. We are a small organisation who are continually developing and growing – a keenness to thrive in a fast-paced changing environment is essential.
Diversity, Equality and Inclusion
We are committed to providing equality and fairness for all and not to discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, mental health, religion or age. We encourage and celebrate the different qualities that our colleagues, and others we work with, bring to our work. And we believe that seeing things from a wide range of different perspectives helps us to resolve problems, adapt our approaches and develop as an organisation. We want to bring greater diversity to our team and we’re keen to hear what you think you’ll bring from your own background and experience (beyond your professional skills and knowledge).
Terms & Conditions
Reporting to: Co-Director, Movement Building
Starting salary: £30,000 - £33,500 pro rata per annum on the basis of an offer by the organisation which cannot be negotiated
Start date: January 2021 (negotiable)
Contract type: Permanent
Benefits: Statutory pension increasing to 5% matched from April 2021, 25 days holiday pro rata in addition to winter break between Christmas and New Year, access to bespoke economics education, person centred training opportunities, yearly cost of living increase.
Hours: 4 or 5 days a week. Evening and weekend work will be sometimes be necessary, for which time off in lieu can be claimed. We support flexible working across the whole team.
Location: Remote. The role involves regular UK, and occasionally international, travel, particularly to our Manchester Office on an average a monthly basis. If you are not based in Manchester the travel costs will be reimbursed. Whilst the COVID-19 pandemic is ongoing, you will not be expected to travel.
Purpose of the Role:
To lead on external communications for the organisation, ensuring that Rethinking Economics remains relevant and responsive to the needs of the network.
Main Areas of Responsibility
● Development of RE’s digital marketing strategy
● Development of RE’s social media presence
● Supporting on the development of an evidence led communications strategy
● Developing, planning and maintaining organisational external communications
● Producing and reviewing website content
● Liaison with and recruitment of students, writers, designers and video editors where relevant for content creation
● Promotion and amplification of a diverse range of voices within our network
Key Skills and Experience
The role profile asks for a wide range of competencies and we recognise that we are unlikely to find a candidate who fits every requirement. If you fit some of the essential and/or desirable criteria and believe you have the potential to learn the other areas of the role, we’d like to hear from you. A strong background in organising and movement building within Economics or educational reform would be of great advantage.
● An interest in and understanding of Economics, particularly a knowledge of alternative and pluralist Economics
● A passion to reform Economics teaching and practice
● Higher education qualification in Economics or Economics and a related subject
Technical Competencies & Experiences
● A strong understanding of brand building, and the role of communications as part of this.
● Experience of growing an organisation’s media presence and maintaining its reputation
● Considerable experience of social media function and be aware of innovative ways to extend our reach
● Editorial experience of campaign focused communications
● Experience of working with volunteer organisers in a campaigns or communications based role
● Ability to create compelling digital content , including articles, news items, blogs, social media assets, videos, long-form stories etc
● Ability to proactively spot and exploit relevant comms opportunities
● Experience of planning and delivering communications projects that deliver measurable results
● Strong knowledge of SEO principles
● Experience of conducting qualitative research such as semi-structured interviews and focus groups
● Proven track record of delivering engaging and impactful training
● Experience of cultivating media relationships
Essential Values & Behaviours
● Commitment to RE’s Values of Justice & Fairness, Diversity & Inclusion and Collaboration.
● Ability to adapt to a constantly evolving environment and a movement that is growing.
● Self-reflective, willing to listen and consider other points of view.
● Ambitious, dynamic and energetic, constantly reflecting on RE’s effectiveness and seeking ways to improve our impact.
● A critical and strategic thinker, able to both see the big picture and have an eye for detail.
Essential Organisational Competencies & Experiences
● Ability to communicate complex information effectively to different audiences. Adapting communication style as necessary and targeting communications to ensure that information is understood and has influence.
● Ability to bring together colleagues from different teams to work on projects or initiatives, or create networks, develop partnerships to support the aims of Rethinking Economics.
● The use of initiative and creativity to combine complex ideas or processes or quickly evolving ideas and situations.
● Experience of overseeing the work of external suppliers, contractors or freelancers and holding them to account for quality, delivery and timeliness of work.
● Working with a high degree of independence and self-direction.
● Experience of strategic leadership of a particular team, programme, or function.
● Experience of monitoring and reporting on financial resources
How to apply
Please complete and return the attached application form and diveristy monitoring form to recruitment [at] rethinkeconomics [dot] org before the closing deadline 23:59, Sunday 29th November. Interviews will be online via zoom - please let us know if this will be difficult.
If you have any queries or would like to have an informal discussion about the role, please do not hesitate to contact us via recruitment [at] rethinkeconomics [dot] org.
Please note that we cannot accept any non-EU based applicants due to government visa minimum salary criteria.