Salary - £49,700 - £56,524 + up to £5,000 accountancy allowance
The Government Property Agency’s mission is to provide great places to work for civil servants. We are using our scale and commercial expertise to do this effectively, efficiently and sustainably, helping to support growth in all parts of the UK. We are growing rapidly through acquisition of Government properties from Departments. Turnover has risen from £0.4bn in 20/21 to £1.1bn in 21/22 and it will continue to grow as more properties are transferred and run by GPA. The postholder can be based at any of the GPA locations with Finance presence outside London. GPA has offices in Birmingham, Platform 21, Leeds, The Lateral; Manchester, Piccadilly Gate; Nottingham, Apex Court. Some business travel may be needed in due course when travel restrictions allow.
The Finance Business Partner for Property is responsible for providing expert strategic advice and guidance to the Property Team and supporting the Head of Finance (Property)
The role will require the individual to be the interface between the business and the finance team. The post holder will contribute to GPA developing a culture of strong financial management.
The responsibilities of the Finance Business Partner will include
- Play an active role as a member of the Business Partnering and wider Finance team, contributing expertise in the development of strategies, proposals and work implementations
- Leadership and line management of Property Management Accountant(s)
- Good knowledge and experience of finance business partnering in a complex environment
- Play a pivotal role in developing financial forecasts and refining processes
- Ability and gravitas to support and challenge the senior property management team
- Support the management of the Directorates in year budget, ensuring expenditure is with approved delegated limits, following GPA control processes, and in line with HMT’s Managing Public Money and Consolidated Budgeting Guidance
- Identifying and reporting on financial risks and opportunities
- Management of future year financial planning for the Property Directorate, working with central finance
- Drive continuous process efficiencies and improvements across the function, delivering maximum value for the GPA and ensuring robust controls are in place
- Seek out opportunities to lead/contribute to cross-government and cross-finance initiatives outside of own role
- Build relationships with key staff across Finance and the business in order to maintain effectiveness and relevance during change
The post holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities as expected in relation to the role and grade.
Key Skills & Experience
- Recognised professional accounting qualification e.g., CCAB/CIMA accountancy qualification.
- Previous experience in Property/Facilities Finance would be an advantage
- Excellent financial modelling skills
- Knowledge of public sector accounting (desirable)
- A commercially astute finance professional - capable of supporting supplier negotiations
- A strategic mindset - able to envisage future possibilities
- Leadership skills to lead a team of mixed experience and varying locations to deliver essential support
- Excellent communication, networking and negotiation skills
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment, planning, collaborating and delivering through others
To apply for this opportunity, you will be required to produce a supporting statement against the four GPA core values, answering specific role focussed questions. For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.