Salary - £35,635 - £40,248 + £2,500 or £5,000 accountancy allowance (Dependant on qualification status) with offices in Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester.
The Government Property Agency (GPA) was launched as an Executive Agency of the Cabinet Office in 2018. The GPA represents a step change in the way that Government property estate and assets are managed efficiently, by providing innovative and flexible solutions across the Government estate. Our core service is to support departments in business change and workforce transformation. The GPA is the place to be for UK's leading professionals in estates, commercial, project management and beyond.
The Government Property Agency is expected to grow exponentially over the first few years of its existence; this equates to transferring hundreds of assets (worth billions of pounds) onto its balance sheet from Government Departments, as well as gaining responsibility for the running of a large part of the central government office estate.
The Financial Accounts Manager is responsible for the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts which is independently audited and laid in Parliament to strict deadlines. The Financial Accounts Manager will also lead on the production of consolidation returns for the Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts. The role requires the post holder to manage one staff member in planning and delivering while identifying and managing key assurance risks and issues. Further growth will be required as GPA expands its client and property base.
The responsibilities of the Financial Accounts Manager will include
- Support the production of the GPA Annual Report and Accounts including provision of consolidation returns for Cabinet Office departmental accounts and Whole of Government Accounts.
- Manage the delivery of internal and external audits.
- Provide advice on technical accounting and regularity issues including spending controls compliance.
- Manage access rights for key finance systems in line with roles and delegated responsibilities.
- Drive continuous process efficiencies and improvements across the function, delivering maximum value for the GPA and ensuring robust controls are in place.
- Seek out opportunities to lead/contribute to cross-government and cross-finance initiatives outside of own role.
- Build relationships with key staff across Finance and the business in order to maintain effectiveness and relevance during change.
- Ensure Record to Report principles are embedded within the GPA.
The post holder may be required to undertake additional responsibilities as expected in relation to the role and grade.
Key Skills & Experience
- CCAB, or equivalent, qualified or part-qualified (or with sufficient financial/ commercial experience and/or the ability to gain formal CCAB qualifications within a reasonable time.)
- Good experience of financial reporting, ideally in a public sector context.
- Good experience of financial assurance.
- Good experience of using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems.
- Proficient using Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to seek and analyse significant amounts of financial data to inform decisions.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on accuracy.
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team.
- Ability to plan and prepare to maximise time and productivity.