The Strategy Team focuses on financial planning across the whole of Cabinet Office. The Financial Strategist will deliver analysis and insight for strategic planning, fiscal events and stock-takes and oversee timely responses to requests for information from HMT, the Finance Director and Permanent Secretary. This includes preparation and delivery of business planning and the Spending Review.
A key focus of the Financial Strategist's work is scrutinising financial and non-financial information received from diverse business areas. The post-holder will also design and manage projects which deliver insight to drive Board level discussions and facilitate strategic level decision-making.
The responsibilities of the Financial Strategist will include
- Accurately consolidate significant volumes of financial and non-financial data for diverse business areas in working documents, ensuring clear documentation of process.
- Produce robust financial analysis to understand impact of decisions made at both a business area level and across the Cabinet Office more broadly.
- Support the business in the preparation and delivery of Spending Review 2020 material, developing longer-term financial plans.
- Ensure effective collaboration with finance business partners and colleagues in Strategy and HR to ensure a joined-up approach to planning across the corporate teams.
- Support other fiscal events such as delivery of Efficiency Reviews, Spending Reviews and financial stocktakes.
- Carry out strategic analysis in order to ensure value for money in the department and design and implement projects which deliver the necessary analysis and insight.
Key Skills & Experience
- CCAB, or equivalent, qualified or part-qualified (or with sufficient financial/ commercial experience and/or the ability to gain formal CCAB qualifications within a reasonable time.)
- A minimum of two years' experience in a finance, strategy or analytical role.
- The ability to analyse and communicate complex financial information in a clear and understandable way, and deliver consistently high quality work to a deadline.
- Ability to proactively build, maintain and influence stakeholder networks and work collaboratively with others to deliver results.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong technical skills in Excel / Google sheets.
Salary - £38,700 - £43,889 + £2,500 or £5,000 accountancy allowance (Dependant on qualification status)