£32,320- £38,000 (London)
£29,320 - £35,000 (National)
If you’re interested in making a difference to people’s lives across the country, the Treasury is the department for you! We sit at the heart of Government and have provided advice on economic policy and decisions that affect the public finances throughout the country’s history. A Treasury career continues to offer an exciting opportunity to be part of the decision making that affects the whole of the UK.
This role will be based in the Ministerial and Communications group, and the team reports into the finance team within the Corporate Centre. The Ministerial and Communications Group sits at the heart of the Treasury. It provides support to Ministers, through the Ministerial offices; it acts as the external face of the Treasury, through the Press Office and Communications teams; and it is responsible for the management of the department, through its support for the Permanent Secretary, the Treasury Board and the Executive Management Board (EMB), and its ownership of Treasury governance structures. The Group is led by the Permanent Secretary.
The successful candidate will be part of a small, friendly team of nine people working at the heart of HM Treasury. The Corporate Governance and Risk Assurance team is based in the Permanent Secretary’s Office, we work flexibly, and we have a diverse portfolio covering counter fraud, corporate governance, data protection, risk reporting and assurance for HM Treasury Group.
The responsibilities of the Risk and Assurance Officer will include:
Handling risks optimally is essential to ensuring that HM Treasury can meet its objectives and provide value for money. This is an exciting and highly rewarding Range D role, supporting the department by improving capability, providing assurance, and building relationships including with risk owners, boards and committees, sponsor teams for Arms’ Length bodies, external partners.
- Ensuring the smooth running of risk management processes for HMT Group. Facilitate a joined-up approach to operational risk reporting across boundaries. Effectively identify, analyse, supervise and call out risks through tools such as risk registers.
- Acting as the first point of contact for the National Audit Office (NAO) on their reports. Lead the clearance process with our Finance Director in the Corporate Centre group and with policy leads.
- Providing secretariat support for the Assurance and Risk Panel which focuses on the management of operational risks across Treasury Group, including its Arm’s Length Bodies
- Engaging with partners across HMT Group and relevant networks such as the cross-government risk champions network and HMT’s ALB sponsors network. Facilitate the sharing of best practice, provide insight and challenge on risk matters, and embed the principles of good risk management as set out in the Orange Book.
- Proactively support a learning culture, seeking opportunities to improve capability through developing a business partnering approach, becoming trusted for your expertise and guidance.
The responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present. The job holder is encouraged to accept reasonable alterations or additional tasks as we work as a team.
Key Skills & Experience
- You must be willing to work towards acquiring a relevant risk qualification, if not already qualified. We will fully support you in your learning
- Good knowledge and experience of Risk
- Ability to seek out new information and self-develop
- Ability to work in a geographically dispersed team
- Experience in risk, assurance, and/or engaging with partners including Arms’ Length bodies
- Constructively challenge and empower teams and senior leaders to support improved outcomes within the department
- Drive continuous improvement in the organisation through developing stakeholders and own team, delivering a strong risk culture, risk maturity and improved outcomes
- Work independently and flexibly with a focus on delivery outcomes, exercising good judgement and adopting an optimistic and pragmatic approach to solving problems
For more information, please apply using the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Jack White at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.