The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) is at the heart of the government’s economic and social agendas. A quarter of UK businesses are in our sectors and are among the most exciting and fastest growing of the whole economy. They provide 5.2 million jobs and deliver £38bn worth of exports. Our mission is to drive growth, enrich lives and promote Britain to the world.
Working in conjunction with our over 40 Arm’s Length Bodies we strive to create the conditions for everyone to enjoy our national culture, play sport, make the most of new technologies and have access to effective communications. Our sectors are critical to ensuring we have a strong place in the world - creating a global UK whose cultural, technological, creative, community and sporting assets mark us out as an essential partner for trade and investment. And making places that people want to live in, work in, invest in and visit.
The role will provide Senior Finance Business Partner services to one of the Department’s three Directors General and to the Budget Holders working to that Director General, building effective business relationships and using their specialist financial skills and expertise to provide support, advice and robust, but constructive, challenge to ensure the effective operation of DCMS’s systems of financial and budgetary control.
This role will lead and manage a team of Finance Business Partners, ensuring they operate collaboratively and effectively to deliver a consistent and high quality business partnering service to their stakeholders.
Key responsibilities include:
- Support senior leaders to embed Finance Business Partnering within DCMS ensuring the successful implementation, development and improvement of the structure
- Build and manage effective relationships with their designated Director General and Budget Holder(s) to provide a trusted, single point of contact between the Finance function and the business
- Provide high quality finance advice and timely financial management data, information and analysis to the designated Director General area, and support and enable good policy decisions to be made
- Actively work to promote good financial management and to build an environment in which the advice and involvement of the Finance Team is actively sought at the start of policy-making.
- Support their designated Director General and Budget Holder(s) through the annual (and multi-year) budget setting process for DCMS itself, including administration, programme, capital and depreciation budgets as relevant, and through in-year budget review exercises.
The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Full CCAB or CIMA accountancy qualification or actively training
- Experience of providing financial advice on complex issues
- Highly numerate and literate, with excellent communication skills and the ability to work under own initiative
- Previous Business Partnering experience and prior experience of managing a team (desirable)
- Working knowledge of managing public money, and central government accounting and budgeting rules (desirable)
For more information or an informal discussion, please apply via the link, or contact Michael Swinburn or Stuart Thomson at our retained search agent, Robertson Bell.