This position is part of the Global Research, Monitoring and Evaluation (GO RM&E) team within the Program Design and Technical Assistance Department (PDTA). The Director of RM&E for Girls’ Education and Gender Equality is a new position being created to bolster the RM&E strategy and portfolio for Room to Read’s girls’ education and gender equality programming and to expand technical leadership for the organization overall. This position will report to the Senior Director of Global RM&E (based in Washington DC). Successful candidates can be based Washington DC, New York City or the United Kingdom (office or home-based depending on location).
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the leadership and overall strategic direction of RM&E at Room to Read, with an emphasis on our girls’ education and gender equality through education portfolio.
- Collaborate with program and operations departments at the global and country level to design a comprehensive RM&E framework aligned with our evolving girls’ education and gender portfolio. The framework will include implementation monitoring, performance indicators, student/teacher/school/system-level assessments, alumnae surveys, evaluations, and research studies.
- Lead a small technical team within the Global RM&E team to implement the girls’ education and gender RM&E portfolio, lead evaluation and research designs for custom projects across Asia and Africa, provide technical assistance to country-level RM&E teams, contribute to proposal development and create RM&E-focused evidence products.
- Develop and implement strategies to innovatively measure outcomes related to girls’ education and gender quality at multiple levels, including individual, school, community, and system levels.
- Support the Girls’ Education Program team with the design of gender assessments.
- Strengthen Room to Read’s research and evaluation methods and technical capacity globally.
- Develop and manage to portfolio and project level budgets. Design and implement competitive procurement processes for data collection, research partners and consultants.
- Lead the development of publications focused on Room to Read girls’ education and gender equality data and evidence to increase visibility in the sector and policy influence at the country level.
- Serve as the primary Room to Read representative for girls’ education and gender equality RM&E portfolio through publications, presentations and membership in sector working groups.
- Motivate, inspire, and support team members and colleagues. Develop capacity of more junior team members.
- International travel to Room to Read countries and other destinations up to 30% of time (when safe to do so).
- Robust knowledge of RM&E for girls’ education and gender equality in education, including frameworks, research and evaluation strategies, measurement approaches, and the existing evidence base.
- Extensive experience leading the design and implementation of an array of research and evaluation projects in developing countries, ideally with a focus on girls’ education and gender equality programming.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills, with proven ability to work with data software packages such as SPSS/STATA.
- Ability to design and produce high-quality complex technical reports with innovative analyses and data visualizations.
- Experience developing and delivering compelling technical presentations to the sector.
- Strong leadership skills, with a history of developing strategies and managing towards the achievement of goals.
- Proven ability to collaborate across diverse teams and deliver high-quality, complex RM&E solutions.
- Experience with engaging policy makers and influencing outcomes at the sector level.
- Experience with competitive procurements, project management and budget development and management.
- Prior success working closely and building relationships with diverse groups of people. Orientation toward capacity building of more junior colleagues.
- Ability and desire to travel frequently internationally.
- 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Legally eligible to work in desired location, no sponsorship provided.
- Experience leading highly-skills technical teams.
- Experience with digital transformation strategies to support data collection, analysis and visualization.
Room to Read offers a competitive pay with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
Global Office - Remote - United States
Global Office - United Kingdom - London
To be successful at Room to Read, you will also:
- Have passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be a proactive and innovative thinker who achieves results and creates positive change
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Embrace diversity and a commitment to collaboration
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to identifying and developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled