Manager, Global Literacy Research Monitoring & Evaluation
Location: Kenya / UK/ South Africa / Tanzania
The Manager, Global Literacy Research Monitoring & Evaluation position is part of the Global Office Research Monitoring & Evaluation (GO RM&E) team and will serve as a key member of Room to Read’s GO RM&E team with a specific focus on the Literacy Program (LP) RM&E portfolio. This is a remote-work position and can be based in Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, or the United Kingdom. This position is open to all nationalities, but candidates must have a valid work permit to operate from any one of the possible locations mentioned above. This position will require frequent travel to countries/ project sites where Room to Read operates. The position will report directly to Associate Director, Global Literacy Research, Monitoring & Evaluation based in New Delhi, India.
Duties & Responsibilities:
In collaboration with the global, country and project-specific RM&E and program team members, conceptualize, and design Monitoring and Evaluation strategies related to the Literacy Program (LP).
- Work with global, country and project-specific RM&E and program staff to identify Research needs, develop Research proposals, and implement Research projects related to LP.
- Travel regularly to various Room to Read direct implementation country offices (in South Asia, Southeast Asia, and Africa) and specific project sites to execute LP RM&E activities.
- Train and mentor RM&E staff based in Room to Read direct implementation Country Offices and specific project sites to execute RM&E activities following the best standards in the industry.
- Extensively engage with (i) preparation and/or adaption of various RME data collection tools, (ii) training/ technical support to relevant staff on data collection and data quality monitoring, (iii) cleaning of raw data, (iv) analysis of cleaned data, and (v) preparation of RM&E products (in different formats such as detailed reports, brief reports, peer-reviewed publications, policy briefs, presentations, communications, summaries, etc.) for internal and external audiences.
- Lead RM&E design consultation processes with program and operations colleagues.
- Contribute to proposals development with a focus on technical approach.
- Stay informed about M&E and research trends in early/ primary grade literacy to inform our strategy accordingly.
- Network with other institutions running similar programs to find areas of collaboration and knowledge sharing.
- Identify partnership opportunities aligned with Room to Read’s Strategic Plan to increase thought-leadership of the organization.
- Represent Room to Read in different forums with a focus on our Literacy RM&E work.
- Minimum of 7-10 years of applicable experience with research, monitoring, and evaluation activities in developing countries.
- Strong technical competence in experience in creating quantitative research designs and monitoring and evaluation frameworks and methods.
- Strong quantitative data analysis skills with proven ability to work with Stata.
- Technical competence and experience with mixed-method or qualitative research and evaluations preferred. Qualitative data analysis skills and ability to work with qualitative data analysis software will be an advantage.
- Proven previous experience in preparing various type of RME products in the form of detailed report, policy briefs, peer-reviewed publications, and presentations.
- Experience with designing and coding instruments using digital data collection platforms.
- Experience preparing for and overseeing large-scale data collection in developing countries.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to travel frequently to different countries and project sites
- Prior experience in working with low-income communities and/or living in one or more South Asian/ Southeast Asian/ African countries (preferably in at least one country outside of the country of origin)
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural work environment and establish harmonious relationships both within and outside the organization
- Ability to work efficiently across different time zones and virtual web-based environment
- Post-graduate degree in a related field (e.g., education, economics, statistics, development studies, etc.). Doctoral degree preferred.
- Legally eligible to work in the preferred location; no sponsorship will be provided by Room to Read.
- Prior exposure to research, monitoring and evaluation for early grade literacy preferred. Additionally, prior exposure to research, monitoring and evaluation for pre-primary education will be an advantage.
- Experience with digital transformation and visualization strategies.
- Experience designing and coding instruments in SurveyCTO.
- Doctoral degree in a related field.
Qualified candidates are invited to apply through our website (under careers section>GO jobs).
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.