This is a fantastic full-time, permanent opportunity for an experienced HR Advisor to join our wonderful HR team!
About the role and the team
We are a small but ambitious Human Resources (HR) team of five who are building on the strong foundations already in place to enhance the support and leadership we provide the Academy in the people space. Now with circa 160 employees, we strive for the highest quality standards in HR practice, procedure and policies. Our aim is to make the Academy the best place to work for the employees we have and those we seek to attract.
With the exciting development of our first People Strategy already underway, we are looking for an experienced HR Advisor to join our team and contribute to the continuous delivery of a proactive and customer focused HR service for all employees across the Academy.
This is a brilliant opportunity for an experienced HR professional who is passionate about all aspects of HR and enjoys working within a varied role where no two days are the same. Reporting to the Senior HR Manager, this role offers lots of opportunity to:
- Utilise and enhance your HR partnering skills including managing recruitment campaigns for internal directorates, while providing practical and effective HR solutions that work for our employees and culture of the Academy
- Support the Senior HR Manager with providing HR advice and guidance to managers and employees, ensuring effective resolution of complex employee relations matters, balancing cost and risk effectively
- Contribute to and participate in HR projects that support the Academy to achieve its People and culture Aspirations – all from an operational and advisor perspective
- Support the development of talent management and learning and development activities, ensuring the Academy continue to attract, retain, motivate and develop its employees and ultimately, achieve its 2025 organisational strategy and beyond
- Contribute towards continuous improvement of HR policies, processes and practices
- Work alongside two experienced HR officers while supporting all aspects of the employee lifecycle including reward and employee benefits administration, HR Information Systems, employee wellbeing, Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (ED&I) and more
As HR Advisor, you will also be involved in driving best practices and ensuring compliance with all Academy employment procedures, documented policies and UK employment legislation which directly impacts the employee experience and helps deliver our People Strategy.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for an HR professional with demonstrable experience working within a busy HR function at advisor level.
A key part of this role will involve supporting the Senior HR Manager with providing first line HR advice and guidance to managers and employees, ensuring effective resolution of employee relations matters. So along with excellent interpersonal skills and sound knowledge of current UK employment legislation, the successful candidate will have strong HR generalist skills to enable them to advise on various people related matters covering; HR policy advice, employee relations and performance management casework, equity, diversity and inclusion activities, recruitment and talent management initiatives including advice on learning and development activities.
The successful candidate will also be comfortable working with HRIS systems, e-learning platforms and internal payroll processes. A willingness to support the wider HR team with administrative duties is also essential.
This is a full-time post, working Monday to Friday (36.25 per hours per week) in line with our hybrid working practices which includes, two days per week working from our central London office. Ideally, candidates will be available to start as soon as possible.
This role is a great opportunity if you have already worked in a busy HR Advisor role and are wanting to further develop your HR partnering skills and knowledge within a supportive environment that promotes a learning culture.
So if you are looking to take your strong advisory skills into a purpose-led organisation with a fantastic people-centric culture, then this is the right place for you.
The skills you will have:
- Qualified to CIPD level 5 or equivalent
- Demonstratable experience working in an HR generalist role at advisor level
- Experience of advising employees and managers on employee relations matters
- A solution focused approach to work with the ability to balance cost and organisational risk when required
- Sound knowledge of current UK employment legislation and best practice HR
- Ability to support HR project plans through to completion
- Confident communicator, both written and verbal, with strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to build effective working relationships with employees at all levels of the organisation
- Able to work independently and within a team through hybrid working practices
- Excellent attention to detail
- Able to adapt to changing priorities as when required
- IT proficiency in the MS Office Suite including MS Teams
- Ability to manage sensitive and confidential information in compliance with GDPR
- Ability to share ideas and suggest improvements to operational HR processes
- HR and learning and development administrative skills
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you.
Who are we?
The Royal Academy of Engineering is harnessing the power of engineering to build a sustainable society and an inclusive economy that works for everyone. In collaboration with our Fellows and partners, we’re growing talent and developing skills for the future, driving innovation and building global partnerships, and influencing policy and engaging the public. Together we’re working to tackle the greatest challenges of our age.
Why work for the Royal Academy of Engineering?
We’re looking for people who are driven to make the world a better place. If you’re passionate about what you do and want to work collaboratively with talented colleagues to make change happen now and for future generations, we want you to get in touch.
This is the perfect time to join us. We have a dynamic, visionary CEO, a strong leadership team and an ambitious and exciting strategy. The value we bring as experts in our field and change agents is highly recognised and makes the Academy a motivating place to be. Our work today builds on a long, proud history with a focused and ambitious future which we’d love you to be part of.
Our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
As an equal opportunities employer, we strive to celebrate and embed equity, diversity and inclusion throughout the work of the Academy and within our people management practices, valuing the positive difference that a diverse and inclusive workforce brings.
We are proud to be part of a wide variety of networks including the BITC Race at Work Charter, Business Disability Forum. We are also a disability confident employer and have signed the Menopause Workplace pledge.
As our organisation is currently underrepresented by men including, Black, Asian minority ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and people with disabilities, we welcome applications from different backgrounds and identities who have a passion for the role engineering plays within society.
What we offer:
We are small enough that you will be known, seen and understood, and big enough to offer great benefits which you would usually associate with much larger organisations. We offer an unrivalled package of benefits including:
- A non-contributory pension scheme
- BUPA cash plan
- Private medical insurance
- Regular social activities
- Health and wellbeing programmes
- Flexible working
- Light spacious office
- Generous holiday allowance plus additional wellbeing days and Christmas office closure
- Significant investment into your personal and professional development.
We have an inclusive and flexible approach to hybrid working based on trust and respecting individual differences, with a fantastic central London office near St James’ Park when you need it.
How to apply: Please complete our online application process and include an up-to-date CV and supporting statement to outline how your skills and experience match the essential criteria of the person specification.
Application closing date: 10am on Monday 11 July 2022
Interview date: Successful candidates will be invited to attend an interview and complete a short assessment at our Central London office on either Wednesday 20 July or Thursday 21 July 2022