The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund is the leading welfare charity supporting current and former members of the RAF, their partners and families, providing practical, emotional and financial support, whenever they need us.
Saying thank you to our loyal and generous supporters is important to the RAF Benevolent Fund. This is an exciting position in our fundraising team based in our London office. The successful candidate will play an important role in the fundraising team and has specific responsibility for supporter care.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and highly organised individual who is interested in a career in fundraising. The successful candidate will enjoy working as part of a team, speaking to supporters on the phone or writing to them, meeting deadlines and juggling a varied workload. An articulate communicator with excellent IT skills, you must be able to demonstrate a willingness to meet supporters’ expectations and enjoy working on a variety of projects.
A detailed job profile is available below. For an informal discussion about the role please contact Louise Gibson, Head of Individual Giving.
To apply, please send your CV together with a covering letter detailing why you believe you are suitable for this role and how you meet the person specification to Elizabeth Haigh, HR Advisor, RAF Benevolent Fund, 67 Portland Place, London W1B 1AR or email.
The closing date for applications is Thursday, 20th August 2020 at midday.
Please note interviews will take place in two stages. Firstly, via Microsoft Teams/Skype/Zoom on Wednesday 26th or Thursday 27th August 2020. The second stage will involve meeting in person in the week commencing 1st September 2020.
The Royal Air Force Benevolent Fund is a Registered Charity (No. 1081009) which encourages applications from all sections of the community
Please note that due to the high number of applications expected, only candidates shortlisted for interview will be notified.
Main Summary of Role:
This is a varied role supporting a number of the fundraising team and has the lead responsibility for supporter care and engagement as well as gift aid. The postholder will ensure that supporters have an excellent experience when they contact the RAF Benevolent Fund by letter, phone, email and social media. He or she will also take responsibility for all aspects of gift aid; maximising the amount we receive from this source and ensuring that we follow HMRC gift aid regulations strictly.
- Set excellent supporter care standards for the RAFBF and work with colleagues in the London office and in regional offices to ensure these are followed.
- Provide and keep fresh the content of thank you letters and add to the CRM, CARE.
- Provide written acknowledgement to all supporters making a donation to the RAF Benevolent Fund within agreed timescales; writing clear and concise personalised letters or emails to supporters and other organisations when required
- Be the first point of contact for supporters phoning the office
- Keep up to date with rules on gift aid and communicate these clearly to relevant members of staff.
- Add all new gift aid declarations to CARE Contact records and scan the original for Filehold or ensure there is an electronic copy of the declaration
- Maximise income from gift aid by sending a declaration to the supporter where appropriate
- On a monthly basis run a potential gift aid claim from CARE, check carefully the transactions before producing the actual claim. Submit to HMRC through the gift aid portal.
- Each month download and code all donations made on the RAFBF website and ensure each donation is thanked either direct or through the automated emails.
- Check the In Memory batches created by the Income Processing Team and produce thank you letters.
- Monitor the generic email inboxes, reply to enquiries or pass on the relevant person
- Support the Digital Fundraising Manager by monitoring fundraising social media posts.
- Support the fundraising team by sharing insight from supporters that influence their campaigns and marketing
- Respond to all requests for materials to celebrate a special occasion such as weddings, birthday celebrations
- Complete the monthly lottery return for Westminster Council
- Keep up to date the FAQs for supporters on the RAF Benevolent Fund website
- Be available to lend a hand to other colleagues as required and agreed with the Head of Individual Giving.
- Ensure the implementation of all relevant RAFBF policies and procedures
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
- Working with people
- Planning and organising - managing time effectively, meeting deadlines and prioritising workload
- Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Adapting and responding to change - demonstrating flexibility in adapting to changing circumstances, accepting new ideas
- Achieving personal work goals and objectives - accepting and tackling goals with enthusiasm and demonstrating a strong work ethic
- Following instructions and procedures
QUALIFICATION(S), KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED FOR THE ROLE
Academic/Professional Qualification(s) or equivalent:
- Good standard of education
- Institute of Fundraising certificate
- Use of computerised database and experience of maintaining supporters contacts on a database
- Excellent telephone skills
- Experience of working in a busy fundraising team
- Able to set deadlines and work to them
- Experience of working in a team
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office packages
- A positive attitude and flexible approach
- Knowledge of methods of fundraising
- Use of the CARE database
- Knowledge of the Royal Air Force
- Travel to other Fund and UK locations (as appropriate).
- To carry out any other duties that is within the scope of the job as requested by the Head of Individual Giving
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.