We have a fantastic opportunity for an Assistant Registrar to join our team based at either our London or Midlands site. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and in return, we are offering a competitive salary Circa of £24,000 (dependent on location).
The Royal Air Force Museum is a national museum, a Government non-departmental public body (NDPB) and a registered charity, with two sister sites at London and Midlands. Our purpose is to share the RAF story, past, present and future - using the stories of its people and our collections in order to engage, inform and inspire. Our Vision is to inspire everyone with the RAF story – the people who shape it and its place in our lives.
Purpose of the Assistant Registrar role:
To contribute towards administering the legal and logistical aspects of collections management for outward and inward loans, the maintenance of the Accessions Register and coordinating regular auditing checks.
Key responsibilities of our Assistant Registrar include:
- Supporting the development and maintenance of Collection policies, procedures and standards
- Ensuring that full, proper and legal documentation of all Museum transactions concerning Collection material is implemented in accordance with Museum policy and procedure
- Assisting in the administration and monitoring of the documentation, handling and transportation of objects in support of curatorial activities
- Helping provide advice and training for Museum staff and volunteers on Collections Management
- Acting as a courier, when assigned, for the transportation of objects nationally and internationally
- Keeping abreast of changes in government legislation and museum standards relating to Collections Management, by examining current practice in other institutions, by engaging with mutual interest groups and implementing improvements as necessary
- Supporting the wider team in aiding the successful delivery of collections related activities such as exhibitions, touring exhibitions and public events
What we are looking for in our ideal Assistant Registrar:
- Degree level qualification or equivalent experience in a museum or heritage environment
- Practical experience of museum documentation and collections management
- Experience in the use of Collections Management systems, including Collections Management databases and literate in Microsoft packages
- Experience in an assistant registrar or documentation/collections officer post in a museum or heritage organisation
- Knowledge of UKRG reports and the Government Indemnity Scheme and the processes involved in administering the scheme
- Experience undertaking and coordinating storage audits within a heritage organisation
- Knowledge of Collections Management standards and able to demonstrate practical experience of their application in a heritage environment
- Experience handling a wide variety of object types and in moving, packing and transporting museum objects
- Knowledge and experience in the logistics of transporting museum objects
- Holds a current driving licence and have a willingness to drive hired vehicles to support Museum activities
- Knowledge of hazardous materials and the processes necessary to manage them within a heritage setting
- Experience of coordinating with museum transport agents
- Experience compiling auditing information for external stakeholders
Closing date for applications: 12 noon on the 15th of July 2022
Interviews will take place on 27th July 2022
If you think you have what it takes and want to be part of this exciting journey, please click apply now to be re-directed to our jobs page where you can access the application method and details for the Assistant Registrar role. Join us in delivering our purpose and achieving our vision, ensuring that the Royal Air Force’s story continues to enrich and inspire current and future generations. We would love to hear from you.