We have a fantastic opportunity available for a Head of Estates to join us based at our London site. You will join us on a full time, permanent basis and in return, we are offering a competitive salary of circa £50,000 per annum.
The Royal Air Force Museum is a national museum, a Government non-departmental public body (NDPB) and a registered charity, with two public sites at London and Cosford. RAF Museum Enterprises Ltd is the trading arm of the RAF Museum with all profits gift-aided to the Museum to support our charitable activities.
Our vision is to inspire everyone with the RAF story – the people who shape it and its place in our lives. Our purpose is to share the story of the Royal Air Force, past, present and future – using the stories of its people and our collections in order to engage, inspire and encourage learning.
About the role:
The Head of Estates is a key role with the senior management group, leading the management and maintenance of the RAF Museum’s estate at both public sites, London and Cosford (as well as our storage facilities). You will ensure the care, welfare and development of buildings, land, plant and services to support the effective operations of the Museum and its commercial enterprises, both front and back of house.
Key responsibilities of our Head of Estates include:
- Manage and maintain buildings, land, mechanical, electrical services and plant in accordance with best practice
- Agree and maintain a long-term Museum Estates Plan and Strategy with the DFR in support of the Museum’s strategic priorities
- Provide advice and support as required to support Museum strategy and capital programme development including applications for lottery or other external funding
- Provide professional and technical support to Heads of Operations at both public sites to manage and maintain the estate
- Advise the DFR if appropriate standards cannot be met due to lack of funds or other matters outside the post holder’s control
- Effectively select and manage a combination of staff, contractors and professional consultants
- Provide professional and technical support to Directors, Department Heads and/or project managers as required
- Carry out investigations and surveys using consultants where required to identify and determine the extent and likely cost
- Maintain a detailed Forward Maintenance Plan which will be used to identify the extent of the Museum’s maintenance
What we are looking for in our ideal Head of Estates:
- Professionally qualified Chartered Surveyor, Building Services Engineer or Facilities Manager
- Significant relevant experience in building construction, maintenance, management, refurbishment and M&E building services
- Ability to take a strategic approach to estates planning and business development
- Previous experience of managing a multi-site operation
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of all relevant statutory requirements, including planning, listed building and building control processes
- Advanced project management skills (including PRINCE2 or equivalent)
- Experience in managing service provision by external providers under contract to achieve high performance and value for money
- Extensive experience in operational and project budget management
- Experience of negotiating and developing successful and complex supplier contracts
- Proven IT skills (Microsoft Office, Microsoft Project)
- Being able to work flexible hours, including occasional weekends and bank holidays as required
Closing date for applications: Monday 3rd February 2020
Interviews will take place on: Wednesday 12th February 2020
Please click apply now to be re-directed to our jobs page where you can access the application method and details for the Head of Estates role. Join us in delivering our purpose and achieving our vision, ensuring that the Royal Air Force’s story continues to enrich and inspire current and future generations. We would love to hear from you.