More than three million people in the UK are estimated to have osteoporosis. The impact on their lives is huge. It has been calculated that every minute, someone in the UK suffers a broken bone through a fragility fracture. As the only UK charity dedicated to ending the pain and suffering caused by osteoporosis, the Royal Osteoporosis Society has been making a real difference to people living with osteoporosis for more than 30 years. We help the nation look after its bones and appreciate the importance of bone health for everybody. For those who develop osteoporosis, we are here to help them live well. With our recently acquired Royal title and new strategy, we want to deliver a step change in our reach across the country.
In common with other charities, the impact of the Covid-19 downturn has been challenging. However, we have taken swift action to address the current challenges and are confident that the charity now has the resilience and resources necessary to grow and develop through any future uncertainty. This has included successfully bidding for Government investment in our services, while widening our reach into a number of new funding partnerships. We currently employ 42 staff, and we are finishing 2020 with financial surplus with another projected in 2021.
As Director of Finance & IT, you will report to the Chief Executive as a member of the charity’s Senior Management Team. Key responsibilities will include:
- Leading the development of a new financial strategy, building on the strong position achieved this year to deliver a sustainable, ambitious, robust plan for the future
- Working closely with clinical and fundraising colleagues on our growth and development plans, providing advice and constructive challenge to new proposals
- Giving oversight to IT and data management across the organisation, working with our in-house team and external providers to ensure our IT infrastructure is robust and we are embracing new technologies
- Managing a small team across Finance and IT, fostering a culture of learning, professional development, innovation, and customer focus.
- Overseeing the review of our existing offices outside Bath
- Undertaking Company Secretarial work and providing assurance to Trustees that governance, controls, risks and compliance are being managed across the charity
- Playing an active role in the wider leadership of the charity as a member of the Senior Management Team
We are looking for an experienced financial leader with a strong understanding of how to develop and deliver a successful financial strategy. You will need to be a qualified accountant and have operated at Director level previously or had significant exposure to Board-level reporting. Ideally, you will have previous experience gained within the charity sector, although this is not essential. Alongside your finance role, you will be leading our IT services; we are not looking for technical expertise in this area, but you should be able to act as an intelligent client and ensure that we have robust and effective business systems in place. As a smaller national charity with ambitious growth plans, your role as business partner, enabler and critical friend will be vital to our success and you can expect your professional knowledge and experience to have a refreshing level of impact.
This is a great opportunity to be part of an exciting new chapter at the Royal Osteoporosis Society, under a new leadership team, as we emerge from a period of restructuring and seek to scale up our services nationally. If you are looking for a role where you can have a transformative impact on people’s lives and make a significant contribution to societal wellbeing, we hope you will apply.
Our offices are based outside Bath, but we have a flexible approach to working location and this post can be based remotely although we would expect a weekly visit to the office in normal circumstances.