The Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (RSTMH) is a charity and society of over 1,400 members from 94 countries, who work in, or are interested in tropical medicine and global health.
We aim to save lives, alleviate diseases and improve equity and access to health through improving our members careers and combining their skills and experience with our own knowledge to call for change in policy, funding and research.
Job title: Grants Manager
Reports to: Chief Executive, RSTMH
Hours of work: Full time
Salary: £33k – 36k, depending on experience
Job type: Contract to Dec 2022 initially
Every year RSTMH provides small grants of up to £5,000 each to early career researchers and global health professionals around the world, to try and ensure that the pipeline of research, translation, implementation and policy work on global health is full of innovative plans and projects. We want to inspire the next generation of tropical medicine and global health discoveries as much as we can. In the last 4 years the programme has grown by a factor of 4 in terms of submissions and by a factor of 6 in terms of awards, so it is an exciting time to be leading this area of work.
To help us manage this programme we’re looking for an experienced Grants Manager who can manage all aspects of the programme from marketing through assessment, to award, ongoing communications and monitoring and evaluation.
RSTMH is a small team so the candidate needs to be happy to work alone, and also be an effective team player. They should be equally comfortable leading partner relationships, developing marketing information, writing a communications strategy, advising potential grantees on terms and conditions, and running reports on the online submissions platform. The candidate needs to be responsible for the programme budget on behalf of RSTMH and our funding partners, and have excellent project management and relationship building skills.
Summary of the role
- Taking ultimate responsibility for the delivery of the RSTMH small grants programme, including managing relationships with our grant funding partners, volunteer assessors and awardees
- Developing and overseeing processes to streamline the marketing, assessment and delivery of grants to successful applicants
- Improve communications, monitoring and evaluation strategies to optimise the programme and its longer term outcomes
- Ensuring the grants are an integral part of RSTMH, reflecting and complementing wider organisational activity and strategy
- To manage the international RSTMH small grants programme, working with the Chief Executive, including-
- Develop marketing information for the small grants programme and help disseminate this to our existing and new networks
- Provide support and advice to potential grantees, managing their expectations where necessary
- Efficiently administer the grants application process through
- Carry out an initial assessments of grant applications
- Assign the applications to global assessors and managing that process through to finalising assessments and producing a shortlisting report
- Work with the Chief Executive to make recommendations to the Grants and Awards Committee
- Produce shortlisting reports for RSTMH funding partners according to their criteria
- Finalise grantees and working with the RSTMH to make awards
- Evaluate the project reports as part of the wider review of the Programme
- To manage relationships with our global network of voluntary assessors and also past and current awardees including
- Establish relationships with global assessors and grantees including phone calls, webinars and face to face meetings where possible
- Work with global assessors and grantees to ensure compliance with our grant processes including reporting and evaluation
- Draft reports about the programme for the Chief Executive, Grants and Awards Committee, Board of Trustees and funding partners
- Maintain quality data records on grant activity, through the RSTMH resources
- Ensure we meet our obligations under our agreements with our funding partners
- Carry out such other tasks as the Chief Executive may from time to time deem necessary
- At least 3 years experience of working in grant management, overseeing grants being given out
- Understanding and experience of developing a monitoring and evaluation process
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities and manage own time
- Excellent verbal and written communication and skills
- Excellent at building relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Strong organisational and project management skills with the ability to meet challenging deadlines and targets
- Strategic thinker, happy to undertake operational work
- Strong IT skills, including MS Office applications and database management
- A demonstrable commitment to the aims and objectives of RSTMH
- Diplomacy and the ability to manage sensitive data in a confidential and appropriate manner
- Methodical and able to meet agreed deadlines
- Flexible approach to changing circumstances, prepared to re-order priorities when required
- An understanding of the environment for grant making for charities
- Experience of working in a small team
- Experience of writing grant applications
Closing Date: 17:00 on 14 May 2021.
Please click the apply button to be taken to our online submission platform. Here you will need to fill out the form and upload your CV.
No agencies please.