About the Royal United Services Institute
The Royal United Services Institute (“RUSI”) is the UK’s leading independent think-tank on international defence and security. Its mission is to be an analytical research-led global forum for informing, influencing and enhancing public debate on a safer and more stable world.
Founded in 1831 by the Duke of Wellington, RUSI has its prestigious headquarters in Whitehall. It is a registered Charity which now employs over 75 staff in London, who work in the areas of research, events, publications and member services.
About the Role
The purpose of this role is to manage all aspects of the purchase ledger and sales ledger on the SUN accounting system, to administer the monthly payroll (SAGE Payroll) including preparation of journals and reconciliation of all pay related balance sheet accounts and to carry out monthly bank reconciliations of all bank accounts.
Duties and Responsibilities of this role
The specific duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- To manage the Accounts inbox, ensuring that purchase invoices are processed with suitable authorisation, entered on to the system (Kissflow) and paid within terms.
- To raise sales invoices as required, ensure that they are entered on to the system in a timely and accurate manner, record and post payments and ensure debtors are managed in a timely fashion.
- To monitor and manage employee expense and credit card claims (Kissflow), ensuring they are promptly and accurately entered and reconciled to payment.
- To manage the payroll process on Sage, including the posting of payroll journals and reconciliation of all pay related balance sheet accounts.
- To reconcile all sterling and foreign currency bank accounts at least monthly for submission to the Financial Accountant for approval.
- Other ad hoc duties as required.
**The above list of is not exhaustive, the post holder will be required to undertake such duties that may reasonably be expected within the scope and grade of the role**
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A part-qualified accountant or experienced book-keeper.
- Previous experience managing payroll, purchase and sales ledgers, strong reconciliation skills and the ability to hit the ground running.
- Good computer literacy and excel spreadsheet skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills.
- Good communication skills.
- Sun Accounting experience (essential).
- Sage payroll experience (desirable).
Hours and Remuneration
This role is a permanent full time (37.5 hours/week) position reporting to the Financial Accountant.
The salary range is £25,000 to £30,000 per annum, depending on skills and experience.
RUSI offers several additional benefits, including additional days off during Christmas (RUSI’s Christmas closure days), a pension scheme (6% employer contribution), free access to RUSI's world leading programme of events and conferences, research materials and library, travel season ticket loan (after successful completion of probationary period), and rental deposit scheme (after successful completion of probationary period).
RUSI is based in Whitehall in the heart of London, close to government and the amenities of central London. Charing Cross station (underground and national rail) and other underground stations are a short walk away.
Equal Opportunity and Values
At RUSI you will be appreciated and valued. Our stakeholders, transactions, and projects are international and diverse, so we work hard to create inclusive teams that support our efforts and each other. We are committed in promoting equality and diversity in our workforce and employment practices and take reasonable steps not to unfairly discriminate in any way in our recruitment practices. We therefore encourage you to apply regardless of your socio-economic background, ethnicity, sexual preference, gender or physical disability.
To ensure equality of opportunity in our employment policies and monitoring of our recruitment practices, we ask candidates to complete our equal opportunity monitoring form which can be found here – Equal Opportunity Monitoring Form
Please note this will open in a separate browser, you will need to return to the vacancy page to complete your application.
We must stress that any information you provide will be strictly confidential and will not form part of the selection process.
Use the apply button at the top of the page on our website, to submit your CV, and a statement of interest (no more than one A4 page) addressing the three following questions:
- Tell us about your most recent experience in managing payroll, purchase/ sales ledgers, reconciliation, and how you prioritised /balanced your workload?
- How do you ensure accuracy and error-free work while multitasking?
- What appeals to you most about the position of Assistant Accountant, and what appeals to you least?
You will receive a notification that your application has been received. Submit completed application no later than 23:59pm, Tuesday 30 November 2021. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the closing date brought forward if needed. Early application is encouraged.