The purpose of this role is initially to support the Head of Finance in the implementation of a new Finance System, to assist in the review of current processes and practices and to document and promulgate those processes across RUSI. In the longer term, the position will lead on the Management Accounting and Funder Reporting of the organisation.
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the UK’s leading independent think-tank on international defence and security. Its mission is to be an analytical research-led global forum for informing, influencing and enhancing public debate on a safer and more stable world.
The specific duties and responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- To review the current Chart of Accounts in consultation with Finance and other RUSI Departments, and make recommendations to update, taking into account RUSI’s requirements in relation to project management and reporting. To also ensure that the new structure will assist in providing timely, accurate Management and Financial Information for the Senior Management Team, Trustees and other external parties as required.
- To review current finance procedures in relation to sales ledger, purchase ledger, expense and credit card expenditure, project reporting, payroll, recording of accrued and deferred income, accruals, prepayments and other areas as appropriate. To ensure that processes are embedded in the new system, documented and communicated as required.
- To review current data holdings, to cleanse data as required and to ensure that historical and future data requirements are met.
- To be part of the project team set up to implement the new financial system, to liaise with the provider as required, to ensure the project is on time and budget and that their requirements are met in a timely fashion.
- To lead on the Management Accounting of RUSI, ensuring reporting meets organisational requirements and is produced in a timely and useful format.
- To continually review financial procedures and processes, ensuring they are updated as required and that they meet internal and external requirements.
- To lead on Funder Reporting, ensuring they are submitted in a timely manner and in accordance with external requirements.
- To implement a business partnering model, ensure financial awareness is raised and that business requirements are met in a timely and efficient manner.
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- A part-qualified or qualified by experience accountant
- A minimum of 2 years relevant professional experience in an accounting role, including experience of assisting in the implementation of a new finance system
- Experience of change management
- Energetic and motivated
- Good computer literacy and excel spreadsheet skills
- Exceptional attention to detail and organisational skills
- Good communication skills and ability to work with people from different national backgrounds
- Experience of Sun Accounting and Sage 50 (desirable)
This person will be based at RUSI’s offices at 123 Pall Mall, subject to Government Guidance re the COVID pandemic on working from home.