Department: Proliferation and Nuclear Policy
Salary: London Living Wage, currently set at £10.85 per hour
Location: Temporarily remote due to Covid-19
Hours: Part time, 15h per week for six months (with the possibility of extension to 12 months)
The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the world’s oldest and the UK’s leading defence and security think tank. Its mission is to inform, influence and enhance public debate on a safer and more stable world. RUSI is a research-led institute, producing independent, practical and innovative analysis to address today’s complex challenges.
About the Role
RUSI’s UK PONI is a cross-generational network of over 1,500 members, which encourages young scholars and professionals to engage with established experts on contemporary nuclear issues. The project aims to foster the emergence of a next generation of nuclear experts and build a broad knowledge base for the nuclear community, from technical intricacies to international security dynamics. Each year, UK PONI invites emerging experts to present their research and ideas to established members of the UK nuclear community at its Annual Conference and convenes a bilateral conference together with US counterparts at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in the United States. Throughout the year, UK PONI also hosts a series of events and activities across the UK addressing a range of civil and military nuclear issues.
UK PONI is looking to recruit a highly motivated Research Assistant to assist with the planning and organising of events, as well as provide efficient and varied administrative and organisational support.
- Assist with the development and implementation of project initiatives and activities
- Provide varied administrative and organisational support, including management of our social media presence and logistical support ahead of meetings
- Take notes at meetings and compile short papers/reports
- Conduct and analyse short surveys
- Run the UK PONI Twitter account and grow social media audiences
- Support with the development of UK PONI’s monthly newsletter, FUSION
- Conduct the initial sift and the first stage of editorial and subject matter review for the UK PONI blog, Nuclear Reactions. This will include:
-Undertaking rapid research to verify the content of blog posts
-Liaising with subject matter experts within RUSI to verify the content of blog posts
-Formatting and posting the blog posts
*The above list of is not exhaustive, the post holder will be required to undertake such duties that may reasonably be expected within the scope and grade of the role*
We are unable to sponsor for work permit, the successful job holder will need the right to work in the UK and will be required to provide evidence.
We expect all staff to abide by and promote our RUSI’s Vision and Values and Equal Opportunities Statement.
Essential skills and experience
- Fluent in oral and written English.
- Strong organisational skills, ability to plan agendas and facilitate meetings, and communicate and synthesise information as well as willingness to complete administrative and organisational tasks.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and ability to engage meaningfully with diverse audiences.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and/or contributions to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Strong time management and ability to meet rapid, multiple deadlines in a fast-paced team-oriented environment.
Desirable skills and experience
- Has an interest in nuclear weapons issues.
- Experience managing an active Twitter account.
- Experience editing papers/ a blog.
For more information about the position, and how to apply, please visit our website.