The Royal United Services Institute (RUSI) is the world’s oldest and the UK’s leading defence and security think tank. Its mission is to inform, influence and enhance public debate on a safer and more stable world. RUSI is a research-led institute, producing independent, practical and innovative analysis to address today’s complex challenges.
About the role
RUSI is looking to appoint a Social Media Officer who will help the Institute pursue a dynamic social media strategy. We are seeking an enthusiastic and creative individual who loves social media and can identify, and post, engaging content for our social media feeds.
Working as part of RUSI’s communications team, the postholder will partner with all sections of the Institute and interact with our communities on RUSI's social media platforms to increase engagement, followers and the quality of the experience. The successful applicant will identify key influencers and conversations where we can engage to showcase our work and expand our reach.
The postholder will use data insights and analytics to influence social media communication strategies and organisational direction.
This is initially a six-month position and the post holder will report to RUSI’s Digital Communications Manager. The post holder will initially be based remotely but, as public health regulations allow, will eventually operate from the Institute’s offices in Pall Mall, London.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Regularly post and schedule content on RUSI’s social media feeds, and with Digital Communications Manager, manage the day-to-day handling of all social media channels.
- Work with the Digital Communications Manager and Communications team to promote RUSI’s research, membership, events, publications and expertise.
- Moderate and respond to comments and interact with followers to develop RUSI’s online communities.
- Produce regular reports on social media performance.
- Use Google Analytics (or similar) to produce reports on referrals to the RUSI website and conversions attributable to social media content.
- Advise colleagues and help them to develop content strategies based on previous performance reports and audience insight.
- Develop social media strategies to expand our reach and impact through social media channels.
- Identify key social influencers with whom RUSI can engage.
- Maintain a strong knowledge of developments, innovations, and new technology in social media and identify any that may be of benefit/interest to RUSI.
The job holder should be able to demonstrate the following essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- Experience of managing Facebook page, a Twitter feed, LinkedIn and an Instagram feed for an organisation or group.
- Able to demonstrate success in creating and delivering social media strategies for specific projects, which increased audience engagement or conversion.
- Can demonstrate commitment to quality control.
- Able to shift gears at short notice, without losing attention to detail.
- Positive, self-motivated, be able to manage and prioritise multiple tasks and respond flexibly.
- Able to show experience at producing regular reports using Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics, Google Analytics or similar tools.
- Data-driven and have an evidence-led approach to developing a social media strategy.
- Be up-to-date with the latest trends/developments in social media communications.
- Able to manage a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to find creative solutions to communications challenges.
- Basic use of Adobe products, such as Photoshop, Premiere Pro and Audition.
- Experience of multimedia and promoting multimedia content online: for example, producing short videos or creating promotional videos for podcasts and events designed for social media.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues in security and defence.
For full job specification and how to apply please visit our career page.
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.