Community Volunteer Development Officer
Location: Lake Vyrnwy, Powys
Salary: £18,250.00 - £20,246.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
Duration: 3 years
This is an excellent opportunity for a person experienced in community engagement and volunteer development to work at Hafren Dyfrdwy’s Lake Vyrnwy Estate in mid-Wales on a 3-year contract. The role, hosted by RSPB Cymru, will deliver an ambitious community engagement project in partnership with HD and the community and funded by the National Lottery Communities Fund.
The 10,000ha Estate surrounds Lake Vyrnwy reservoir, a strategically important water resource. It has a diverse range of habitats, supports rare and protected species and contains a number of upland farms including the largest organic farm in England and Wales which is managed by the RSPB. The historic dam, local attractions and surrounding landscape attracts over 180,000 visitors each year.
Hafren Dyfrdwy (HD), RSPB Cymru and community partners work together to enhance the natural and built heritage of the estate and to make this heritage more accessible to a range of audiences. The Lake Vyrnwy Community Engagement project will advance these ambitions by:
- Expanding the current volunteer offer, more than doubling the number of volunteer roles; matching these roles to site needs and volunteer motivations; offering training, social opportunities and the chance to contribute to the enhancement of the Estate.
- Creating a new volunteer and community training programme which targets priority audiences, identified as community members from within a one hour drive time who are currently underrepresented in volunteering at Lake Vyrnwy. They are young people aged 11 to 24 years, those with low incomes, people with disabilities and adults who are either unemployed, have no qualifications or who are isolated. This element will be delivered with the support of partner organisations.
- Engaging with the immediate parish of Llanwddyn, and the wider towns, villages and farming families within one hour drive time of Lake Vyrnwy to promote the volunteering and training opportunities and to create a sustainable model for engagement which will extend beyond the life of the project.
The Lake Vyrnwy Community Engagement project will help to create a sustainable legacy for the heritage and we would love you to a be a part of it.
What’s the role about?
You will lead staff, partners and stakeholders to deliver, monitor and evaluate the outputs and objectives of the community engagement and volunteer plans. You will report to the RSPB Site Manager, to a project board comprising RSPB, HD and community representatives and to the Funder.
The scope of the plans include:
- developing capacity to deliver more diverse and inclusive volunteering and training opportunities with currently underrepresented audiences.
- increasing the opportunities for the community to participate in delivering a shared vision for Lake Vyrnwy.
- building support for heritage conservation within the local community.
- leading and empowering stakeholders to transform participation through an exciting programme of activities at Lake Vyrnwy.
The role will be based at Lake Vyrnwy but homeworking may be required in the early stages at least in line with Covid-19 restrictions.
Key aspects of the role are as follows:
- Relationship building and liaison within the HD, local community and partners, working together to deliver the vision for the project and facilitate community participation.
- Delivering community communications via newsletters and social media and managing a database of participants.
- Delivering community outreach events and activities.
- Facilitation of community forums.
- Organising the recruitment and induction of volunteers and trainees.
- Training and developing volunteers and their line managers to enable them to fulfil roles effectively, promote personal development and ensure all volunteers receive an excellent volunteering experience.
- Ensuring all volunteer information and procedures are followed to meet the RSPB standards of volunteer management and safeguarding.
- Promoting the volunteer and training programme to the local community.
- Facilitating and administrating meetings and stakeholder events as appropriate in support of effectively delivering project objectives.
- Monitoring and evaluating outcomes, including reporting to the project governance board and funder.
- Managing day-to-day procurement of goods and services, including selecting appropriate suppliers and contractors.
- Ensuring the effective administration of activities to deliver on time and to budget, managing risk, issues, changes and quality.
- Line managing a Volunteer Development Coordinator who will have responsibility for delivering the partnership volunteering training programme, managing conservation volunteer activity and supporting the agriculture traineeship offer.
- This role will include lone working and some planned weekend/evening working.
What we need from you:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with an ability to connect and engage with a diverse range of audiences.
- The ability to communicate in Welsh is desirable.
- Public speaking and presentation skills.
- Strong planning and organisational skills.
- An aptitude to work and connect with with people of all ages and backgrounds.
- Proven experience in volunteer recruitment, management and development.
- Experience in community engagement with a focus on rural areas.
- Experience in delivering training sessions.
- Experience in mentoring staff, particularly in volunteer management.
- Experience of working with marketing and media (including social media).
- Experience of working with external stakeholders such as agencies and contractors.
- Experience of delivering targets and monitoring, evaluating and reporting outcomes.
- Passion for and interest in natural and built heritage and conservation.
- Desirable to have experience of delivering National Lottery Communities Fund projects.
Closing date: 23:59, 25 April 2021
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the Apply button to be directed to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
No agencies please.