Senior Conservation Officer - West Midlands
Salary: £32,400.00 - £35,944.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance, 26 days Annual Leave
We currently have a rare opportunity for a dynamic, driven and self-motivated individual to join our team to help shape the future of biodiversity across the West Midlands. Working with partners, the successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing delivery of the RSPB’s conservation goals and objectives. You will have the chance to work with incredible people to make a difference to nature in the West Midlands.
The RSPB West Midlands area covers seven counties, stretching from Gloucestershire in the south to Staffordshire in the north. In addition to six fantastic RSPB managed nature reserves, the West Midlands team is actively involved in partnerships in the South West Peak District, Cannock Chase and the Forest of Dean. Habitats across the West Midlands vary from urban green spaces to sweeping moorland to ancient oak woodland, supporting a host of incredible species.
We are in a nature and climate emergency; the special places and wildlife of the West Midlands are under pressure from many different directions. But we cannot work in isolation to overcome these challenges and make the most of new opportunities. We are looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and motivated individual to work with and lead a wide variety of partners to save nature, with a tangible energy and sense of urgency. With a large population across the seven counties we need you to engage with new and diverse audiences as well as our existing allies.
You will be advocating the RSPB’s position on a variety of issues such as woodland and heathland restoration, upland management and making urban spaces work for people and for nature. You will have a proven track record of leading people to achieve gains for nature. You will be a key member of the wider West Midlands Leadership team and you will lead the West Midlands work in identifying and assessing engagement with casework activities as they arise.
This is full-time home-based role for the successful candidate. However, you will be expected to attend regular meetings as required. We are flexible where within the West Midlands the candidate wishes to be based.
Essential skills, knowledge & experience:
- Degree level qualification in a relevant subject or ability to show equivalent work experience.
- Sufficient understanding of landscape scale conservation, land use and management, relevant policy and legislation to advise staff on appropriate responses and interventions in the West Midlands.
- Knowledge of the wildlife and habitats of the West Midlands.
- Sufficient knowledge of a range of delivery mechanisms for conservation work relevant to the West Midlands.
- Ability to form effective teams (both internal and partnership) and work effectively as a team player.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written and presentational) – including an ability to speak confidently and cogently in public to a variety of audiences.
- Confident advocating a position to a variety of audiences including landowners, land managers, local politicians, RSPB members and volunteers who may have different views to you.
- Ability to support and develop staff using a variety of management techniques.
- Ability to rapidly analyse significant quantities of information, prioritise and balance a diverse workload often to tight deadlines.
- Competent user of core Microsoft Office programmes.
- Experience of working to survey and protect important sites, species or habitats.
- Experience of managing staff or volunteers and setting clear work priorities.
- Experience of developing productive partnerships.
- Experience of negotiating with and influencing the public or private sector, to deliver biodiversity benefits.
The closing date for this vacancy is Monday 26th April 2021, however as we are actively recruiting for this position we reserve the right to close the vacancy once sufficient applications have been received.
We plan to conduct interviews on 4th May 2021.
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the Apply button to be directed to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
No agencies please.