Use your finance skills to support nature conservation in the UK and around the world!
Senior Reporting Accountant
Location: Sandy, Bedfordshire / Flexible Remote
Salary: £35,944.00 - £43,031.00 Per Annum
Benefits: Pension, Life Assurance and Annual Leave
You will provide the RSPB and other entities with financial management information for the Management Board and Trustees to support financial governance, resource allocation and decision making, with particular emphasis on future strategies, budget setting and monitoring, income and expenditure monitoring and financial reporting. You will work closely with finance business partners to understand our incredibly exciting projects and build an overview of all our work to present valuable insight and analysis to leaders in the conservation world.
This role can be performed remotely, but as regular travel to the Lodge is required you should be within an hour and a half's travel to Sandy.
Key Results areas
Be responsible for the collection, analysis and interpretation of data for regular financial reports containing strategic, financial and business information, with the relevant key performance indicators, to support decision making and to enable the relevant body to discharge their governance and financial responsibilities to strict deadlines for meetings and reporting requirements.
Be responsible for the checking and accuracy of financial data to ensure that financial management reporting materially reflects the financial performance of the Society and its subsidiary companies, to aid decision making, control and financial probity.
Be responsible for collating, preparing and presenting financial budgetary planning (i.e. short term planning, current year) and future (medium to long term,2-5 years) by collating, analysing and reviewing the budget strategy, in close collaboration with the Financial Planning and Reporting Team; Senior Managers; Management Board and Trustees.
Be responsible for the processes and control of the data warehouse system and the allocation of the budget and budget strategy to the cost centres and budget holders, to ensure the data is effective for financial monitoring. This requires the checking and verification of all entries with appropriate analysis and reporting.
Recognises, reviews and reports financial risks and opportunities, to ensure the Management Board and Trustees are aware of their impact and the potential mitigation strategies, to minimise the risk to the RSPB its budget and financial forecasts.
Be responsible for the maintenance and reconciliation of control accounts to ensure the integrity of the reported financial information.
Be responsible in the preparation of internal reporting to support the annual accounts and its timetable, to satisfy legislative reporting requirements and provide the summary of the financial results and year end position for all stakeholders and entities.
Be responsible for the preparation of regular returns providing financial statistics in accordance with external statutory reporting requirements to ensure compliance and maintain the RSPB’s financial credibility and reputation.
- Mgt' Board and Trustees: to ensure effective understanding of financial information and to ensure reporting requirements are being met.
- Finance Planning and Reporting Team: to understand financial trends, review and explain variances with budget and strategy, and to recognise and report on financial opportunities and risks.
- Finance Department: support and interact with the wider finance team, with query resolution and specialist advice as required e.g. VAT advice.
- Department HoDs and staff: to ensure understanding of financial information and correct adherence to financial procedures
- Fundraising & Communications to provide information for lottery returns to the Gambling Commission
- UK Government, to provide financial statistics.
- Gambling Commission, in relation to lottery returns and related compliance.
- Auditors, statutory accounts audit
Essential qualifications, knowledge, skills and experience
- Recognised accounting qualification, ACA, ACCA or CIMA qualified or part qualified (nearing completion).
- Educated to degree level and/or have sufficient relevant financial experience to be able to carry out duties to a high standard.
- Knowledge of financial reporting structures and financial interdependencies.
- Advanced spreadsheet skills.
- Excellent numeric skills.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Excellent analytical abilities
- Highly proficient in the use if Microsoft Office, especially Excel.
- Proven relationship skills, with the ability to gather information from multiple sources.
- Ability to work well unsupervised.
- Ability to work to strict deadlines.
- Financial reporting to senior management.
- Experience of handling financial data, spreadsheets and databases.
Proven ability to support decision makers with clear business and management reports to aid decisions would be desirable.
- This role will require some travel within the UK.
- This role will require some overnight stays away from home.
- The RSPB works for a healthy environment for all and we therefore expect you to take action in accordance with our Environmental Policy and objectives. Together we can make a positive difference for our world.
- In the RSPB, volunteers are a major resource and make a vital contribution to the RSPB’s aim to take action for the conservation of wild birds and the environment. Employees are responsible for encouraging, developing and supporting volunteers in their work for the RSPB.
This is a Permanent Full Time role for 37.5 hours per week.
Closing date: 23:58, 06 February 2022
We are looking to conduct interviews for this position on 14th /15th February.
To Apply and for More Information:
If you would like find out more, please click the apply button to be directed to our website where you can complete your application for this position.
No agencies please.