Technical Advisor, Finance - Gola Programme
Reference number: A0961020
Location: Kenema, Sierra Leone
Salary: Starting at £30,817 to £34,471 per annum
Hours: Full time
Contract: Fixed Term for 12 months
The Greater Gola Landscape straddles the Liberia/Sierra Leone border and comprises a mosaic of the largest remnants of Upper Guinea forest. The Gola Rainforest Programme is an exciting long-term initiative supporting the management of this critical landscape in Sierra Leone including both the Gola Rainforest National Park and buffer areas.
Gola Rainforest Conservation (GRC) is non-profit company formed in 2015 to manage the Gola Rainforest National Park, which is a certified voluntary REDD project (the first in West Africa). The company was formed through an equal partnership between the Government of Sierra Leone, the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), the Conservation Society of Sierra Leone (CSSL, the Birdlife International Partner) and local forest-edge communities.
The RSPB is seeking a dynamic Technical Advisor for Finance to advise, mentor and assist the GRC Finance team, Senior Management and Birdlife Partners to improve financial management of the organisation (including the REDD project and a large grant portfolio) so that the objectives of the Gola Programme can be achieved. The position will be based at the Gola Rainforest Conservation (GRC) headquarters in Kenema but will include travel to Freetown to work with the Conservation Society of Sierra Leone (CSSL) and to Monrovia to work with Society for the Conservation of Nature in Liberia (SCNL).
You will have particularly strong skills in capacity building and mentoring, planning, budgeting and financial management and building good relationships with local and national partners.
Reporting to the RSPB Country Manager in Sierra Leone with a dotted line to the RSPB Country Manager in Liberia you will be responsible for advising GRC Directors, the Head of Gola, Superintendents and BirdLife partners on matters related to financial planning, monitoring and reporting as well as robust fiscal management to assist GRC and BirdLife partners to achieve their goals and objectives. A key component of this work will be to support GRC to input a new Finance System, as well as improving related processes and capability
- Financial management experience in an organisational or project / programme capacity, preferably with a focus on budgeting / forecasting and management or project reporting
- Experience of working with organisations in developing countries to build financial management capacity, preferably in a technical advisor capacity
- Experience of leading the implementation of new financial systems and improving financial processes and controls and providing training as part of the implementation
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong leadership and influencing skills
- Strong interpersonal, team building with an ability to build effective relationships
- Strong communication skills with an ability to present things in a simple and straight forward way
- Culturally and ethnically sensitive
- Confidence and knowledge to make decisions without referring upwards
We are offering a 1-year contract with the possibility of an extension to start as soon as possible in 2020.
Closing date: 12 November 2020
Interview date: 19 November 2020
TO APPLY AND FOR MORE INFORMATION:
If you would like to find out more about this position and to apply, please click the Apply button to be directed to our website where you can download the role profile and application details.
No agencies please.