Job title: Housing Advocacy and Sustainment Worker
Location: Southwark with outreach work across London
Reports to: Service Manager (Places)
Contract: Full time permanent subject to funding
Hours of work: 35hrs per week
About Safer London
Safer London is a leading charity working with young Londoners and their families affected by violence and exploitation. We believe that all young Londoners can have a positive and productive future.
Whatever their history, when a child or young person comes to Safer London, they are just that – a child or a young person. By working alongside young Londoners, their families and peers, as well as the places where they spend their time, we can create a safe London not just for them – but everyone.
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Housing Advocacy and Sustainment Worker to join our amazing team. This is a fantastic opportunity for you to play an integral role in improving the lives of young Londoners, their families, peers and communities.
In this specialist role at Safer London, you will provide non-judgemental advice, guidance and assistance to young Londoners and their families in relation to housing, tenancy sustainment and debt management. You will also provide support to the wider team within Safer London around housing and resettlement work.
Core responsibilities of the role are, but not limited to:
- To provide young Londoners and their families with information, advice and guidance on housing and tenancy sustainment and, where appropriate, to signpost them to support available from other agencies.
- To liaise with landlords and Local Authorities to explore resettlement housing options, including seeking financial support to access Private Rented Sector accommodation.
- To advocate on behalf of and act for service users where necessary, drafting letters, completing forms, compiling budgets and financial statements and carrying out any calculations as appropriate and reasonable.
- To provide consultancy to colleagues across Safer London around the housing and resettlement theme.
- To work proactively to support service users to manage the financial aspects of their tenancies, including debt management, and to address emerging rent, utility and council tax arrears, including liaising with landlords and other providers.
- To support service users to make claims for Housing Benefit, Dual Housing Benefit, Discretionary Housing Payments and Council Tax Support, and advocate on their behalf in relation to claims.
If you are a committed, resilient and experienced Housing Advocacy and Sustainment Worker and believe you can contribute to help us to improve the safety of young Londoners and their families then please apply.
We’re committed to protecting and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and we expect anyone who works and volunteers with us to share this commitment. An enhanced DBS (Disclosure Barring Service) disclosure will be required for this role.
At Safer London we value diversity and we’re committed to creating an inclusive culture. We encourage and welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. We know that in order to make London a safer place for the young people that live here, we need a diverse range of perspectives, experience and knowledge.
To apply, please complete the online application form.
Should you need any adjustments to the recruitment process, at either application or interview, please contact our team to discuss.
Please note, we don’t accept CVs.