If you're viewing this advert the weekend of the closing date and are concerned that you won't have time to make an application, please submit your CV and we will get in touch to find a time to speak with you over the weekend, giving you time to put a compelling application together.
Are you a champion of social justice? Someone who holds equity and inclusion at the core of their values? Do you believe that London is a great city, but that we are failing in our collective responsibility to make it a safe and great place to be for all young people, no matter their start or circumstances? If so, we might have just the job for you.
Across London, 4,000 young people have been groomed or coerced into County Lines drug trafficking, there has been a 60% increase in hospital admissions for assaults with sharp objects, and 1/20 children and young people have been the victim of sexual abuse or exploitation. The overwhelming response by state institutions has been to position this as an issue of criminal rather than social justice.
We believe that all young Londoners deserve to fulfil their potential and to live without fear, to live lives dictated by their choices and not their circumstances.
What we do
Safer London is a leading London-wide charity working with young Londoners and their families who are affected by violence and exploitation in the capital.
With a footprint in every London borough, we build trusting, professional partnerships with statutory, charitable, and community partners to provide specialised one-to-one support and targeted group work.
Young Londoners tell us how they’ve experienced traumatic events. Things that many of us just couldn’t comprehend. Our individual, relational, and trauma informed support aims to ensure that more young Londoners feel safer, are safer, and go on to have positive futures.
To date, we’ve helped tens of thousands of young people escape the threat of gangs, County Lines exploitation, sexual violence, and abuse, and we’re not done yet. Through our work with young Londoners, their families, peers, and communities, our vision is to create a safer London for everyone.
What we’re looking for
The work we do has never had more political and social impetus behind it, and we need to scale up our funding portfolio to take advantage of these opportunities, as well as diversifying our income portfolio to ensure long-term sustainability.
While we have strong relationships with the likes of the City Bridge Trust and the Garfield Weston Foundation, our trusts portfolio has grown organically and currently only represents 9.5% (£285k) of our total income.
There is a huge opportunity for us across trusts and foundations, with many potential partners having already expressed interest in our work. We are looking for someone who can help us to map the current T&F donor market, put in place the systems and processes needs to support good trust and foundation fundraising, and begin to build strategic relationships with funders.
We don’t believe in prescriptive person specifications as they limit the diversity of experience on our teams. If you have experience in the following broad areas, we would be keen to speak with you:
- Social Reformer: It’s no secret that many of the issues we tackle have an overt racial element across the capital. We’re looking for someone with social justice at the core of their personal values, someone who places equity and inclusion at the centre of everything they do. We amplify the voices of the unheard and build our fundraising strategy around them.
- System Builder: This is an opportunity for you to build trust fundraising from the ground up, taking what you’ve seen done well and badly and building a best-practice system.
- T&F Prowess: If you’ve got considerable experience of raising funds from trusts and foundations and have consistently demonstrated an ability to grow income, we want to hear from you. Whether this is growing £2m to £3m, or £20k to £30k, we understand that it’s relative and are looking for achievement-focused fundraisers.
- Perfect Planner: Leading on a new income stream, a young, growing organisation requires someone who can spin multiple plates and manage competing priorities. If you thrive in a busy environment and can maintain strong communication levels when the pressure is on, this could be the role for you.
What we can offer
- You will be working in a collaborative, non-hierarchical environment where all voices are heard, and you will get to be part of the big decisions and input into organisational direction.
- You’ll be respected for your expertise and have the freedom to develop trust and foundation funding strategies that you feel are most effective.
- We are disruptors, a pioneer who goes against the grain. We look at crime statistics and see a minority who are suffering and have been maligned, not a majority who need protecting from them. If you want to be part of a team who are resetting the social justice paradigm, there isn’t anywhere better to be.
If you think that you’re the person to help us change the face of London forever, we would love to hear from you.
Role: Trusts & Foundations Fundraiser
Location: Southwark, London
Contract: Full time
Closing Date: Friday 24th September 2021
Please submit a CV as a statement of interest in the role, but hold off putting a cover letter together until you have spoken with one of our consultants. They will be able to brief you on exactly how the role fits together and the specific elements we're looking to cover as part of the application.