Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives.
In line with Saferworld’s mission, this post will further the work of Saferworld’s Arms and China Programmes at national, regional and international levels, supporting efforts to promote full implementation of the laws, policies and norms that provide the bedrock for responsibility and restraint in the global trade in arms and dual-use goods. In particular, this position will involve supporting and, where required, leading work to:
- encourage development and rigorous and transparent implementation of national laws, regulations and procedures for arms transfer control and build capacity of developing countries to develop appropriate and effective arms transfer control systems
- promote continued development and enhanced implementation of regional and international transfer control agreements and mechanisms
- encourage, develop and support increased engagement in arms trade issues by other civil society organisations around the world
- hold governments to account for their record in implementing all relevant laws and agreements
- provide technical support to the China Programme’s arms-related projects and activities
You will have a strong understanding of international peace and security and arms control issues globally, including a solid understanding of key international legal concepts and principles underpinning global arms and security dynamics and options for engaging with them. In addition you will have a commitment to reducing the proliferation and misuse of conventional arms and related equipment with a particular focus on improving the lives of those negatively affected by these phenomena, together with experience-based ideas as to how this can be achieved.
Please go to our website for a full job description and details of how to apply
The client requests no contact from agencies or media sales.