Title: Centre Assistant
Reports to: Centre Manager
Budget Responsibility: No
Based at: Southampton Seafarers’ Centre
Hours of work: Part time min. 15hrs per week on a rota basis . Centre is open Monday to Sunday, 9am to 8pm, Will include some weekends and Bank Holidays.
Job Purpose: To deliver a high standard of customer service, within the seafarer centre. You will be a confident ambassador for the Centre.
- This is a joint role that will cover both the Seafarers Centre which incorporates our Charity shop.
- You will take pride in interacting with our service users every day, delivering exceptional service to our visitor’s that is genuine, knowledgeable and efficient.
- You’ll champion our values – care about the seafarers welfare and wellbeing, the community, the team and a job well done.
- You’ll make sure our service users feel well provided and cared for.
- You’ll be part of a motivated, friendly team and be active in creating an open learning environment.
To assist the Centre Manager in their objectives:
- To oversee the needs of the visiting seafarers and other eligible visitors using the Centre.
- To oversee and ensure the recording of visitor numbers, helping to maintain monthly statistics.
- To safeguard the assets of the Centre including stock, cash and all centre equipment.
- Ensuring the security of the building is maintained.
- To ensure that all cash and other forms of payment received is properly managed, checked and held securely according to laid down procedures and to the satisfaction of the Treasurer.
- To ensure that the Centre is properly maintained in a clean and tidy, presentable fashion at all times, encouraging a cheerful and welcoming atmosphere.
- To proactively promote the centre to seafarers and their families, retired seafarers and their families, together with other stakeholders.
- Ensure the upkeep, monitoring and maintenance of the portakabin at berth 207.
To assist the Charity Shop Manager in their objectives:
- To help ensure that the interior and exterior of the shop are clean and tidy.
- To communicate the work of the Society to customers.
- To deal with disruptive customers in a sensitive but firm way.
- To ensure the shopping experience for customers is enjoyable
- To help ensure that items for sale are clearly labeled and displayed to the best advantage to maximise sales.
- To help with the sorting and discarding of inappropriate or unsaleable items.
- To help rotate stock on a regular basis.
- Under the instruction of the Shop Manager ensure the till is operated safely and monies accounted for.
- To be aware of health and safety in the workplace and to be vigilant about ensuring the safety of those around you.
- To be aware of and encourage the Christian ethos of the Charity.
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Enthusiasm, energy and passion to execute exceptional customer service
- Communicate confidently to all
- Flexible approach
- Honest and open
- Willing to learn
- Reliable and Committed
- Show initiative
Adhere to and ensure safeguarding policy and procedures at the centre and in all interactions with seafarers and the general public. Ensure staff are kept up to date on