Sailors’ Society has been providing practical and emotional help to mariners for over 200 years; we have much to be proud of in our past, but our focus is very much on the present and the future. Our work over many years has been to build strong, trusted and fruitful relationships across the maritime sector to benefit seafarers and their families, around the world, ‘at home, at sea and in port’, following an ethos based on traditional Christian, non-discriminatory, values. As a leading maritime welfare charity, frequently pioneering in its approach, the Society has long recognised the importance of partnerships both with funding and delivery.
We have ambitious plans; our vision is to be able to reach more families and individuals connected to shipping and maritime services. To realise our income plans, we are now looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Director of Development to work with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team to grow this important charity.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team you will play a critical role in the development and delivery of Sailors’ Society’s strategic aims and objectives and in the leadership delivery of our income generating strategy and activities. This will include the recruitment and retention of financial supporters from major donors to individual members and fundraising and commercial activities. In this role you will lead a small team to achieve income from a wide range of donors including companies, trusts and individuals. A Director level operator you will bring your managerial and fundraising skills to work collaboratively with a charity-wide team to achieve shared goals. The preferred candidate will have:
- A proven ability to lead a multi-disciplinary fundraising team covering individual giving, corporates & trusts, national and international events
- Considerable experience and track record of fundraising from companies and from industry sector groups
- Experience of developing stewardship strategies to engage and inform donors
- Highly developed competence in working cross-functionally to ensure all Sailor’s Society audiences receive the best service and impression at every touchpoint
- Leadership of development team, providing strategic direction, management and development of all staff
- Experience of managing and developing a CRM database to aid in the fundraising process.
You are likely to have developed your portfolio of fundraising skills over time in a national or international charity and can demonstrate considerable success in more than one of the following areas: Trusts and Foundations, Corporate Partnerships, Major Donor fundraising and Individual Giving. You will offer several years of line-management experience in more than one area of fundraising, with a track record of developing and strengthening individuals and teams. Experience in, or exposure to the maritime industry is desirable, but not essential.
If your passion and ethos align with the Sailors’ Society and you have the skills and experience required for this critical new role, we would love to hear from you.
We are working with the Philanthropy Company to develop our fundraising strategy and capacity and recruitment for this role is via Public Leaders Appointments in collaboration with the Philanthropy Company. For further information, please download the attached candidate brief and contact Anna Jay at Public Leaders Appointments (details in the brief).
Closing date for application Midday, Tuesday 12th October 2021
Initial Interviews (zoom) 18th / 19th October 2021
Second Interview (Head Office) Friday 22nd October 2021
In addition to home working, the postholder will be expected to be onsite in our Head Office in Southampton 2/3 days per week with travel to London and occasional overseas travel a requirement (flexibility for out of hours working is essential).
In order to apply, please submit a CV supported by a covering letter of no more than 3 sides of A4 outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role, as set out in the brief.
- Within your application, please outline your major achievements as a senior fundraiser and your involvement in significant income generation activity including the size of individual gifts you have achieved
- Please include details of 2 professional referees including your current employer if possible (your consent will be sought prior to approaching referees)